Lead Systems Administrator Job Summary
Leads technical support in the areas of computer hardware and software. Administers, configures, monitors and tests application servers for business and network operations. Provides suggestions and recommendations for new technology solutions. Implements end user and application security and monitors storage capacities and performance for applications servers. Implements and monitors daily data and application server backups, upgrades, and patches. Monitors the software and hardware inventory and ensures that copyright and licensing requirements are met. Collaborates with Senior Leadership and multiple departments delivering on major national Firm Information Technologies initiatives. May serve internal or external clients.
Illustrative Duties and Responsibilitie
- Leads daily system monitoring, verifying integrity and availability of hardware, network and server installations, configuration, systems and key processes, performance, testing, and verifies completion of scheduled jobs such as backups, restores, and patches; Serves as a subject matter expert on major IT environment upgrades, enhancements, new functionality, capacities, performance, cost effectiveness, and business integrations.
- Provides input and recommendations on new potential technology solutions based on research and analysis.
- Designs and implements infrastructure solutions to meet business and technical objectives.
- Develops test plans or scripts to be installed manually or set-up to be distributed firm-wide; Prepares test plans and environments to test identified software and hardware.
- Analyzes and resolves technology and end user incidents during standard business hours or on-call rotations; Monitors issue resolutions and collaborates with the application team and engineers when necessary to resolve and apply fixes.
- Maintains standard application and operations procedure documentation
- Ensures compliance with Software Testing Life-Cycle standard operating procedures and policies.
- Maintains accurate software and hardware inventory and manages the copyright and licensing requirements.
- Assists with special projects and initiatives; Plans and executes on major milestones.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Technical Skills
- 4+ years of experience of the following:
- Microsoft Windows & Office desktop environment is required to ensure a strong foundation in the customer's environment and ability to document systems engineering efforts.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008R2/2012, SQL Server Integration Services and SQL Server Reporting Services (SIS, SSRS); Oracle 10g/11g a plus
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and higher and Microsoft IIS6 or higher,; Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012 and IIS 7.5 preferred
- Microsoft .NET 2.0+ application (ASP.NET, Windows, Windows Services) development and support.
- Microsoft platform experience is mandatory
- Experience with Virtual Technologies Including but not limited to: Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware Environments
- Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2012 / Linux / Solaris
- Web Servers: Microsoft IIS, Apache, JBOSS
- Authentication: Active Directory, LDAP, Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS)
- Applications: Primavera, Documentum, SAP basic administration skills highly desired
- Experience and an understanding of concepts and supporting technology for one of the following areas: Storage Area Networks, NAS, Networking, Disaster Recovery
- Demonstrates an understanding of complex problem solving techniques dealing with systems engineering and support.
- Relevant business and working experience in ITS level 3 support is required to ensure tasks are completed without supervision. Must be a self-starter and willing to accept ownership and responsibility of oversight on an assignment.
- Ability to formulate and recommend technical direction for OS / Hardware / Applications related activities for the project teams in collaboration with SLTC team and other IT organizations within US Information Technology Services.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of the systems development life cycle including sizing, configuration, and hardware design recommendations.
- Ability to effectively communicate written and verbal to all levels within the organizations as well as communicate directly with customers on new projects and / or issues with production systems. Must have superior client management skills.
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Requirements
Microsoft certifications preferred.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience; 8+ years of related experience in technology infrastructure, operating systems configuration and installation, enterprise network computing support, design and security.