TrustAfrica is a pan-African foundation whose overall goal is to secure the conditions for democratic governance on the African continent. Organized around three program areas of Governance, Equitable Development and African Philanthropy, TrustAfrica provides grants and technical assistance to, as well as convenes, leading institutions and actors in Africa in order to advance public accountability on the African continent.
TrustAfrica working together with the Ford Foundation, MacArthur Foundation and Open Society Foundations have come together to establish a fund to support Nigeria’s efforts against corruption and address problems around criminal justice administration. The purpose of the Fund is to support the anti-corruption and criminal justice reform strategy of the new government in the first months of its mandate in the areas of planning, convening and preparation activities.
Description of Responsibilities
The Project Director is expected to develop and implement a high-profile multi-donor partnership to strengthen Nigeria’s efforts against Corruption and Impunity. Working closely with the program team and under the supervision of the Program Director, the Project Director will do the following:
Management, Planning and Monitoring
- Serve as a lead of the secretariat to an internal program advisory committee (PMC) comprising representatives of TrustAfrica, the donors and the Government of Nigeria;
- Lead the identification and selection (with guidance from PMC and support from Project Officer) of relevant and strategic government institutions as well as civil society organizations for consideration of funding and technical assistance support;
- Oversee performance tracking and management of implementing partners to ensure quality assurance and timely delivery of outputs;
- Ensure continuous monitoring and assessment of all project activities in accordance with the established Monitoring and Evaluation framework as a means of isolating new learning and informing project execution;
- Monitor changes in the external environment and constantly recalibrate the fund’s activities to ensure appropriate risk mitigation strategy and also relevance;
- Manage project budget, supervise project staff and consultants as well as ensure proper documentation of all aspects of project implementation.
Coordination and Development of Strategic Relationships
- Coordinate and collaborate with different sectoral stakeholders in the Nigerian government such as the proposed Presidential Anti-Corruption Steering Committee, the Office of the Vice President, the Office of the Chief Justice of Nigeria in order to build linkages and synchronize related interventions;
- Establish strong linkages with local civil society actors to include, but not limited to, traditional not-for profits, faith-based institutions, third sector actors as well as other bilateral organizations working on the criminal justice system and anti-corruption in Nigeria;
- Identify and engage local, regional and international knowledge bases and best practices in the criminal justice system through partnership-building efforts with regional and international civil society and development actors;
- Prioritize strategic networking through direct participation of implementing partners in locally, regionally and internationally organized conferences, seminars and meetings in line with the criminal justice system and accountability interventions.
- Demonstrate integrity, commitment to egalitarian principles, values and ethical standards;
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Project a confident leadership style that encourages team spirit and cooperation amongst implementing agencies of government, other staff as well as within larger anti-corruption space within Nigeria.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, flexible and proactive in order to provide adequate support to partners in a challenging, satellite type working environment;
- Demonstrated ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting and lead the formulation and monitoring of management subprojects;
- Strong practical and theoretical knowledge of financial resources management, contract management as well as information technology;
- Demonstrated ability to fundraise through both oral presentations at formal and informal meetings as well as through the development of technical funding proposals.
Management and Leadership
- Build strong relationships with grantees, partners as well as other stakeholders, focus on impact and results and respond positively to feedback;
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills with proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability in managing and coordinating large scale multi-stakeholder projects and activities;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to maintain flexibility.
Planning and Organizing
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle technical work in an efficient and timely manner;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-Graduate degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Development Studies, International Relations or Project/Program Management;
- Demonstrated professional training and experience in project management, capacity enhancement, impact assessment or monitoring and evaluation.
- 7-10 years of relevant professional experience in coordination and project management with a solid understanding of the Nigerian political economy and local context;
- Solid experience in building partnerships with government institutions, the media as well as civil society;
- Demonstrated leadership capacity to ensure delivery of results from project start-up phase through the delivery of results;
- Experience with national level coordination of complex capacity building programs and projects in Nigeria and/or Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Previous experience working with public sector and international development actors on public accountability and governance initiatives;
- Strong inter-personal skills, including demonstrated experience working with a multi-cultural team;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computing software such as Microsoft Office Suite in the preparation of professional documentation.
Fluency in English, both oral and written, is required.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials in English: a cover letter, a detailed CV describing your professional experience, and contact information for three references. Also kindly submit last recorded salary.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Applications can be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your telephone number and Skype in your cover letter and indicate the job title in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
TrustAfrica is an equal opportunity employer.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.