If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The overall objective of this position is to mitigate the risks posed to the programmes, personnel and assets in SC in Nigeria through the provision of specialized, coordinated and focused security management support.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelors degree in a related field
- Formal security qualification or advanced security management training
- Advanced level of understanding with the philosophy and mode of operation of NGOs
- Recommended a minimum of 5 years field based experience in complex and insecure settings, preferably in more than one country with large teams of staff
- Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with regional, national and international institutions
- Experience of incident reporting, incident mapping, intelligence collation and analysis functions, set up and execution of an incident warning system (warden system), compilation of security reports and assessments
- Strong analytical capacity, resourcefulness and creativity in developing the role of security within programmes and ensuring the most effective support to line management
- Ability to balance demands of beneficiary and security actors while maintaining appropriate contextual NGO security advice and coordination
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Excellent planning, coordination and reporting skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments
- Competency in Internet and Microsoft Office systems including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and other database/mapping systems
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria and Sahel region
- Ability to speak Hausa is an advantage
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.