Mercy Corps, An International Humanitarian Organisation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within our Empowering Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) Program. We are looking for a motivated individual, who is enthusiastic about the work we do and is looking to work within a dynamic team.
The ENGINE Deputy Project Director will support the project manager to lead the initiation and implementation of a 3-year program to reduce financial and education barriers for marginalized Nigerian adolescent girls and young women. The objectives of the ENGINE program are to increase girls’ and young women’s access to (1) financial education and life skills; (2) peer to peer networks and mentors; and (3) direct assets (materials and savings). ENGINE will integrate young women into value chains as well as conduct other market-driven employment opportunities. ENGINE will also work with girls in formal and informal education to increase their learning opportunities and outcomes to prepare them for future economic activities. Mercy Corps is a sub-awardee to a large international company and will collaborate with other stakeholders for the implementation of the ENGINE program
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in education, management, international development or relevant field;
- A minimum of 6 years of experience, including 3 years in a senior management position; experience in Middle or Northern Nigeria strongly preferred;
- Experience operating large, complex programs in an insecure environment is required.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong understanding of DfID compliance issues; experience managing contracts and performance based payments is desired.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Hausa language skills strongly preferred.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues in high security environment. Experience managing a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Experience managing large-scale secondary education or school to work and especially targeting marginalized girls or young women programs required. Prefer expertise in at least one of the following areas: accelerated learning programs, Islamic and/or community-based education targeting community acceptance of girl’s education, increasing economic assets through savings clubs and links to financial institutions. Experience using SMS for training or messaging preferred.
- Experience coordinating with private sector actors to leverage complementary funding and increase scale of activities.
- Demonstrated experience working with country-level ministries and government officials is preferred
Method of Application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV and Cover Letter addressing the position requirements to
Applications submission deadline: 21 July, 2015. All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity organization and we encourage women to apply to these positions.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale