MTN Nigeria is part of the MTN Group, Africa's leading cellular telecommunications company. On May 16, 2001, MTN became the first GSM network to make a call following the globally lauded Nigerian GSM auction conducted by the Nigerian Communications Commission earlier in the year. Thereafter the company launched full commercial operations beginning with Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt.
• Network Planning functions within the region which will be measured by:
o Capacity - Ensuring that at any time the network will be able to accommodate the subscriber level anticipated 3 months ahead
o Coverage – Ensuring that coverage is provided in all areas where MTN subscribers live, work and play and to maintain parity with the competitor where necessary.
o Technology integration – Ensuring that multiservice sites (2G, 3G, etc) are properly designed and integrated with minimal complexity and good Inter Radio Access Technology performance.
o Time - Ensuring that network planning and site acceptance will be carried out in a manner to allow sufficient time for acquisition, construction and implementation of BTS and transmission links
• Maintain accurate and thorough Knowledge of the network, especially in assigned region/areas.
• Maintain at all times a detailed knowledge of the behavior and status of all sites in the region of responsibility. This includes:
o Nominal plan
o Planned sites
o Site acquisition status
o Build configuration and status
o Traffic levels
o Voice traffic indices: GoS (Congestions stats), Dropped call rate, Control Channel failure, HO failure rate, half-rate
o Data traffic volumes and relevant indices
• Produce Cost Effective radio designs - ensuring the network will be designed and built in the most cost effective way possible, e.g. rooftops/existing towers/water towers are easier and cheaper to build than green fields
• Monitor and report all competitor activities
• The clutter data and propagation models (Planning Tool:Asset) will be checked at regular intervals to ensure that they offer a true reflection of the propagation environment·
• Be aware of any of the issues below that may affect the successful operation of MTN’s business within the region
o Economic situation
o Social/community situations
o Provide specialist technical support to all other department regarding the network and radio related features
• Maintain the integrity of the contents of planning tools (e.g. ASSET, and other records) and minimize discrepancies from live network
• Execute the nominal radio coverage and capacity rollout design for the region
• Carry out the detailed RF design to conform with the nominal rollout plan
• Monitor and analyze network performance and configuration to ensure KPIs are in conformance with targets for the region
• Continuously analyze traffic, utilization and subscriber growth in order to foresee needs for capacity expansion.
• Review, prepare and load cell data for integration of sites onto the network.
• Evaluate, verify and supervise the planning of MTNN radio networks by managed service vendor(s)
• General MTN N working conditions.
• National traveling into various remote areas within the specified region.
• Additional working time may be required. A valid driver’s license
• Four (4) years RF experience with a GSM or Wireless Telecomm operator
• Experience working in a multi-vendor network
• Experience with Ericsson, Huawei and ZTE equipment will be desirable
• Training on the BSS aspect of a GSM network
• Radio planning and optimization of GSM and UMTS network
• Training on vendor equipment and software
• New technologies training
• BEng, BSc, BTech or HND
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.