The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
The University offers an American – style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. In ten years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Chief of Staff of the Academic Unit (CoS AU) will be a central figure in organizing and managing the day-to-day operations of the Academic Unit. The CoS will also work with the Academic Leadership team to plan and drive initiatives, monitoring progress relative to budget, schedule, and milestones. Coordinates activities of Executive Assistants of SITC, SBE, SAS, Graduate School, Office of Research and Sustainability. This position reports directly to the Provost.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervising the Provost Office staff
- Coordinating activities among the Executive Assistants of SITC, SBE, SAS, Office of Research, Office of Sustainability, Learning Resource Center, and e-Library
- Developing policy, personnel, procedure, and communications documents for the Unit
- Exercising an intimate knowledge of all AUN policies, procedures and implementation thereof
- Providing guidance and coordination to all schools and departments, specifically in the areas of staff human resources, academic personnel, travel and payroll, multi-unit processes, and complex issues and expenditures
- Developing expenditure policy (e.g., entertainment, travel) and overseeing related divisional processes
- Providing leadership to all divisional administrative support staff
- Undertaking high-level analytical and ad hoc projects as necessary or as directed by the Provost
- Developing programs and strategies for ensuring divisional cohesiveness, individual development, and recognition of professional accomplishments
- Working with Provost and Academic Unit leadership team consisting of the Deans of SITC, SBE, and SAS, as well as the graduate program, Office of Internal Research and Effectiveness, and Sustainability to develop and execute divisional strategic plans
- Working cooperatively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions to enhance organizational effectiveness
- Managing office operations, especially the stream of routine tasks and action items, especially related to space planning, procurement, housing, travel, recruiting, and non-exceptional elements of student, faculty and other academic affairs
- Supervising budget planning and tracking and Implementing a project control system that will assist the academic leaders in planning and monitoring their projects
- Responding to action items – especially servicing urgent needs for support – after normal working hours
- Fielding or assisting with the fielding other operational responsibilities of the Academic Unit, as directed by the Provost
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Provost
Requirements for the position:
- Minimum of Bachelor degree with proven management track record.
- Master's degree or equivalent training.
- Executive management experience of 10 years +. Minimum of three years of experience of which must be in managing operations, including prioritizing and executing tasks and action items, developing project plans and schedules, preparing documents in a stakeholder environment, monitoring progress using formal project tracking tools.
- Capacity to receive and service the needs of internal customers is a must.
- Demonstrated administrative leadership and management within a complex organization.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to lead multiple collaborations to develop and implement solutions on a wide range of complex organizational issues.
- Exceptional interpersonal, cultural competency, and conflict resolution skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility to work cooperatively as leader or member of a team to achieve collective goals, and with persons at all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to perform accurately, efficiently, and flexibly in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment with constantly shifting priorities
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Strong leadership skills
- Customer focus
- Ability to effectively collaborate with leadership and teams
- Proven ability to be effective in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Exceptionally strong writing and verbal skills.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated expertise in working with faculty, staff and students with diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to deal successfully with multiple tasks, shifting priorities, and a broad spectrum of people.
- Ability to work with time-sensitive matters and meet strict deadlines, working beyond established office hours if warranted.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to analyze, summarize, and effectively present data.
- Integrity of the highest degree.
- Keep information confidential.
Description of Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AUN is an equal-opportunity and non-discriminatory employer. For more information on AUN, please visit www.aun.edu.ng
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.