The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
The University offers an American – style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. In ten years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa.
AUN is seeking for a permanent Payroll Accountant. This position is a local one and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Payroll Accountant will be charged with the responsibility of assisting the Payroll Manager to provide an efficient and effective payroll service by ensuring that service users are provided with accurate information at all times while upholding the AUN Vision, Mission, Policies and Procedures. The duties shall include but not limited to Managing, preparing, distributing, and reporting processes for payroll, while contributing to established policies and procedures for the payroll function.Also,He/She will calculate deductions, such as income tax, pension’s contributions and/or Social Security payments, Health Insurance and other Insurance deductibles.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes and issues employee paychecks, statements of earnings and deductions as well as reviews time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information in order to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Updates the records employee’s information, such as exemptions, transfers, designations and resignations, in order to maintain and update payroll records.
- Process and monitor all staffing changes including starters, transfers, leavers and other amendments to salaries and employee data in compliance with policy and payroll requirements.
- Keeps updated records of all business.
- Input monthly payroll data into system in accordance with statutory and contractual obligations and to pre-defined timescales.
- Maintains and inputs payroll information in a precise and accurate manner.
- Oversees the calculation of wages, overtime, and deductions to ensure compliance with federal and state laws.
- Ensures that payments and government reports are disbursed timely and accurately.
- Computes and disburses wages and salaries, deductions, taxes and other withholdings.
- Prepares routine reports and/or payments to government agencies, insurance companies and others.
- Calculates and processes special checks, reviews, edits and makes corrections and adjustments as needed.
- Computes and records the earnings owed to each university employee on a computer and ensure employees are paid on time.
- Prepares and distributes pay envelopes to employees and set up automatic electronic transfers between the university and an employee's bank.
- Distributes and collects time sheets each pay period.
- Compiles, prepare and maintain payroll reports and statistics.
- Review time sheets, work charts, wage computation, and other information in order to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies.
- Issues and records adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
- Calculates gross net accurately.
- Keeps informed about changes in tax and deduction laws that apply to the payroll process.
- Provides information to employees and managers on payroll matters, tax issues, benefit plans, and collective agreement provisions.
- Complete, verify, and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, unemployment and medical insurance.
- Prepare and balance period-end reports, and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements.
- Compiles statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts, and submit them to appropriate departments.
- Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
Requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or an equivalent field from a recognized University with at least three (3) years of post qualification experience in payroll and employee benefits.
- Membership of relevant accounting institutes will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of a computerized payroll system is preferred
- IT skills in packages such as Word processing and spreadsheets are required.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Strong background in mathematics and accounting.
- Ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules
Description of Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AUN is an equal-opportunity and non-discriminatory employer. For more information on AUN, please visit www.aun.edu.ng
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.