Girl Hub's mission is to empower the 250 million adolescent girls living in poverty to reach their full potential. Girls are a proven force for change and the catalyst to end global poverty – it's called the Girl Effect.
When you improve a girl’s life through education, health, safety and economic opportunity, these changes have a positive ripple effect on their families, communities and nations. Our work aims to shift the social norms that hold girls back, and drive better investments that directly benefit girls. Everything we do is based on what girls tell us they need and what will work for them.
Girl Hub (GH) is a strategic collaboration between DFID and the Nike Foundation. We currently operate in Rwanda, Nigeria and Ethiopia with headquarters in London.
The Senior Finance Coordinator will be responsible for financial management of the Girl Hub Nigeria (GHN) Office. This includes ensuring good accounting practice and completing all financial responsibilities such as processing payments, managing cashflow, financial reporting and budgeting, and tax compliance.
The Senior Finance Coordinator will be responsible for leading on the full range of financial and cash management processes for GHN. They will provide the full range of finance support required to facilitate the efficient delivery of GHN’s overall objectives. This includes:
- Financial Accounting: Processing invoices and payments on the accounting system, verifying that the invoices raised are in line with the contractual agreements and ensuring relevant tax deductions and remittance to Nigeria Revenue authority are complete
- Cash management: Monitor funds and cash flow to keep an optimum cash and bank balance and mitigate any deficit due to exchange rate fluctuations
- Management of the Petty Cash. Inputing and processing petty cash requests.
- Financial Reporting and Budgeting: Support the respective budget managers during the budgeting/reforecasting process, prepare monthly accounts and expenditure reports
- Daily accounting of transactions in country and those made in headquarters
- Perform month end activities by the 7th working day following the end of the month (Transaction entries, Journal entries, reconciliation etc)
- Ensure adherence to local statutory and tax requirements.
- Provide documentation and explanations to external and internal auditors as required
- Liaise with the Girl Hub headquarters in London for payment purposes.
- Coordinate with colleagues from both the technical and finance perspective to ensure the smooth operation of GHN funded initiatives.
- Lead on the Withholding Tax (WHT) process and ensure GHN is conforming to Nigerian Law regarding Tax.
- Petty cash management (Inc. reconciliation and Journal entry before sending to GH London).
- Monitor funds and cash flow to keep an optimum cash and bank balance and mitigate any deficit due to bank currency fluctuations
- Process payments from the local bank account.
- Maintain financial documents for completeness, accuracy and compliance with local and GH accounting rules.
Financial Reporting and Budget Management
- Develop and prepare monthly management accounts and expenditures reports and share with GHN team to identify variances against planned budget and take corrective action.
- Supports the respective budget managers during the yearly budgeting and quarterly reforecast processes with the preparation of templates and consolidation of returns
- Work closely with the Technical Programme Teams to present the monthly accounts and support them on the budget / reforecast.
- Closely monitor the key performance indicators by developing and implementing adequate strategies to ensure GHN performance (reduction in payment timelines, month end activities, accurate forecast, monthly management report, ad-hoc feedback to Girl Hub headquarters in London, queries and policy compliance).
- Monitor exchange rates on a monthly basis.
- Support on additional duties assigned by country leadership as and when required.
- Manage and maintain the asset/inventory register ensuring all new assets/inventory acquisitions over GBP 650 are recorded in the asset register, provided with an asset/inventory code and are physically labelled with the asset code.
- Conduct quarterly asset verification of all equipment, submit to London.
- Participate in all strategic planning, budget reforecasting, training, team building and related activities of the GHL team and contribute to the overall development of the organisation.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in accounting or its equivalent
- 3-5 years working experience in similar post for a local NGO or an INGO.
- Knowledge of financial standards required by donors, local financial standards and legal framework
- Experience in working with financial accounting procedures and reviewing financial reports, creating and monitoring budgets and working with compliance regulations.
- Experience in using excels spreadsheets and word processing packages and other account reporting tools.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Task completer
- Able to work autonomously
- Strong excel skills
- Good communicator
- Tenacious and possessing a strong work ethic
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment
- The right to work in Nigeria is a requirement for all applications.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.