World Learning is an 83-year-old global non-profit organization with operations in 77 countries. Through its award-winning international education programs – The Experiment in International Living, the SIT Graduate Institute, SIT Study Abroad and the International Honors Program (IHP) – World Learning fosters global citizenship by connecting over 3,000 young ambassadors annually across cultural differences and social barriers. Through its International Development & Exchange Programs, World Learning practices what it teaches, undertaking community-driven international development, and training and exchange projects. For more information visit www.worldlearning.org
Background of the assignment
World Learning is currently supporting the implementation of the Electoral Empowerment of the Civil Society Program in Nigeria under a consortium led by the National Democratic Institute (NDI). World Learning has been tasked with strengthening the institutional capacity of the civil society organizations (CSOs) involved in the project as partners. This will entail undertaking a detailed Non-U.S. Organization Pre-award Survey(NUPAS) to determine a potential partner’s responsibility and whether special award conditions may be required. This survey helps provide critical information on the capacity of the potential partner, the partners’ institutional systems as well as risk rating to establish the ideal modalities of engagement. World Learning intends to use its Participatory Institutional Analysis (PIA) tool to achieve this objective after the partners have been assessed.
In this respect, World Learning proposes to bring on board a consultant with unique expertise and experience in grants and financial management for CSO’s, institutional assessment and capacity building. The consultant will work closely with the World Learning CSO Finance and Capacity Building Manager to carry out the pre award survey. The CSO Manager will act as the link to the other consortium partners and ensure their views and inputs are taken into consideration in the entire process.
Objective of the Survey
The objective is to determine a potential partner’s responsibility and whether special award conditions may be required. The survey tool helps provide critical information on the capacity of the potential partner, the partners’ institutional systems as well as risk rating to establish the ideal modalities of engagement. The NUPAS will help determine whether the organization’s financial management and internal control systems are adequate to manage, control, account for, and report on the uses of potential USAID funds, thus protecting the U.S. Government’s interests.
Scope of Work
1. The consultant will be expected to undertake a detailed desk review of relevant documents to support his / her work.
2. The consultant will carry out the pre award survey using the NUPAS tool in specific areas under defined categories.
3. Submit a well written report on the findings and results of the survey.
1. Profile of firm or CV for individual consultants – CVs and profiles should be no more than 3 pages
2. For consulting firms, certificate of registration from the CAC in Nigeria
Key Competencies for person / team
1. Minimum of a University Degree in a relevant discipline.
2. 5 year experience working for and with CSOs and more specifically in Africa and an overall understanding of CSO management.
3. Sound knowledge of USAID rules and regulations on grants administration and project management. Experience in working with or on USAID projects will be an added advantage
4. Experience in developing of policy papers, project concepts notes, strategic plans, policy and procedure manuals, fundraising strategies and report writing.
5. Sound grants and financial management skills.
6. Experience in undertaking institutional assessments and financial reviews using the NUPAS tool will be an added advantage.
World Learning’s responsibilities
1. Provide office space (if required)
2. Provide the relevant documents required for the desk review within its custody.
3. Provide consultancy contract before the beginning of the assignment.
4. Pay the agreed consultancy fees as detailed in the contract
5. Facilitate the consultants travel and accommodation should the consultant be called upon to within Nigeria.
Please note that any form of subcontracting is not permitted. World Learning will immediately terminate engagement with any consultant or firm that sub-contracts an assignment assigned to them
Terms and Conditions of the Solicitation
Response submission deadline
The deadline for responding to this advert is June 21st, 2015.
Responses received after the deadline will not be reviewed and will be discarded by World Learning. Responses must be emailed to email@example.com with subject “Partner Pre Award Assessment”
Communication and Confidentiality
World Learning will only respond to written questions regarding this EOI through the email address:
World Learning will not use the information in any other context or setting and we will not reveal details to other parties other than NDI and USAID.
World Learning will not reimburse respondents for their applications expenses and this solicitation does not commit World Learning to pay for costs incurred relating to the preparation or submission of an application.