Concern Universal seeks a Country Director to manage and further develop an existing substantial programme. The post offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced and dynamic individual to make a significant contribution to the organisation’s work. We seek sound interpersonal and strong strategic planning skills. Working within a motivated team of staff and alongside local partners, the candidate will have several years representational and project management experience, ideally with a WASH focus and familiarity with participatory/community-led development approaches. A positive disposition, can-do attitude, strategic, analytical and leadership skills are essential.
The Country Director will provide strategic leadership and management in developing the Concern Universal programme in Nigeria. S/he will have responsibility for ensuring that all aspects of the programme are managed effectively, to ensure that Concern Universal continues to play a valuable and influential role in the fight against poverty & the strengthening of civil society. The following duties & responsibilities will in part be delegated or managed by other staff – however, overall responsibility for ensuring performance at all levels will rest with the Country Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Programme Direction, Management and Development
- To develop the programme based on the existing country strategy and Organisational Strategy and to carry out structured strategic reviews to respond to changing circumstances.
- To proactively seek new opportunities for funding of projects through in-country and external relationship building with donors and the submission of programme initiatives.
- To ensure continued funding for the programme through well-researched proposal preparation and clear operational plans.
- To ensure that adequate assessments are carried out in accordance with good working practice.
- To ensure systems are in place for monitoring and evaluating impact of programme activities.
- To prepare reports for donors, both financial and narrative, in accordance with donor requirements.
- To write reports as required for organisational information & risk management processes.
- To actively communicate and work with local partners and communities on programme development, proposal articulation and report writing.
- To build and maintain positive and professional relationships with existing and possible new partners and to identify areas for capacity building with partners, such as project cycle management, strategy development, organisational development, human resource management, financial management, governance, etc.
- To ensure MOUs and funding-specific sub-contracts are in place with all partners for all projects.
- To ensure that relationships are developed with government and partner agencies at all levels to enable the appropriate development of the programme.
- To represent Concern Universal to government, Embassies/ Delegations, the UN and other international agencies, donors and partners and other bodies including the media and the public.
- To be cognisant of advocacy opportunities and, following internal discussion and agreement, to develop these as appropriate through the media, government, the UN, international agencies, donors and diplomatic missions in close consultation with the Chief Operations Officer.
- To contribute to the promotion of effective co-ordination between Concern Universal, Government, UN, NGO and where appropriate, other bodies.
Staff Management and Development
- To provide solid leadership and direct line management support to core staff.
- To encourage staff involvement and commitment to the running of the programme through regular meetings and visits and a participatory team approach to decision making.
- To assist in the further development and implementation of the operational structure and staffing requirement for the effective implementation of Concern Universal’s activities.
- To recruit and induct staff according to in-country and international guidelines and Concern Universal policy, including equal opportunities.
- To ensure the Handbook for national staff is updated on a regular basis, along with all related organisational policies.
- To ensure that all staff have well defined and understood contracts and job descriptions.
- To ensure that all staff participate in annual appraisals.
- To identify the training needs of staff and ensure processes are in place to support and encourage appropriate personal and professional development of staff within the context of the organisational objectives.
- To conduct exit interviews for line managed staff before they leave Concern Universal.
Resources and Financial Management
- To outline the resource requirements for the programme and ensure that systems are in place for the effective management of resources in relation to finance, transport, supplies and capital assets, including maintenance of assets register and vehicle logbooks.
- To ensure that effective and secure budgetary control of the programme’s finances and expenditures are established and maintained, in line with Concern Universal’s financial procedures & guidelines.
- To monitor project finances on a monthly basis and liaise with donors if necessary regarding projected under or over-expenditure.
- To provide financial reports on a monthly basis to the UK office.
- To monitor the funds transferred to partner organisations and to ensure partners have adequate financial systems and controls.
- To prepare an annual budget for core costs and identify where funding will come from to cover these expenses.
- To ensure anti-virus software is installed on all PCs and updated (at least monthly) and that all finance and programme data is systematically backed up (at least weekly).
Security and Health & Safety
- To maintain an overview of the political and security context, noting how developments may affect programme work.
- To ensure that robust and effective security and evacuation plans and procedures are in place and regularly reviewed and updated in order to secure the safety of all staff at all times.
- To ensure that the health and safety policy is regularly reviewed and all staff are aware of this policy and follow its guidelines.
- To ensure all staff, volunteers and visitors are aware of and follow Concern Universal’s security procedures.
- To comply with Concern Universal’s policies and practice with respect to protection of children and vulnerable adults and other relevant policies and procedures.
- To make recommendations with regards to enhancing collaboration between the work of Concern Universal in Nigeria and Cameroon, as well as other Country Programmes where appropriate.
- Relevant Master’s level qualification or similar academic achievement.
Key skills and competencies
- Commitment to the values and mission of Concern Universal.
- Commitment to the capacity building of local institutions based on mutual respect and a partnership approach.
- Positive outlook and stand-alone disposition.
- Determined hard worker, capable of rapid and quality turn around on a high workload and multiple tasks.
- Proactive approach to problem solving in difficult and isolated locations.
- Outgoing personality with solid interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Self-starter, capable of innovatively developing the programme.
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the programme.
- Attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
- Excellent communication and team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally.
- Numeric skills, including proven understanding of financial management.
- Excellent planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills.
- Experience of grant design, management and reporting to major donors.
- To download the full job description, please follow the link below to our website.
Method of Application
All applicants must complete an application form. CVs will not be acknowledged or accepted. For an application form and other information about Concern Universal please visit our website www.concern-universal.org .
Completed application forms should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for receipt of completed application forms is 5th July 2015.