Save the Children International is a 'dual mandate' organisation and as such equal priority will be given to both humanitarian and development work. This is the only way we will be able to ensure that some of the fundamental rights that we believe children have, such as survival, safety and constant access to protection and education can be guaranteed. As part of a commitment to work with children through humanitarian interventions Save the Children will support programmes in both sudden onset and chronic emergency situations.
The incumbent will take lead in institutionalizing child safeguarding and code of conduct into the Nigeria countrywide program, ensure that the country program has a clear complaints, reporting and investigation mechanisms, and monitor compliance and accountability. The role has overall responsibility for ensuring that partners, suppliers and others associated with SCI are aware of and are compliant with the child safeguarding policy.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree level qualification in social work, Social Sciences or equivalent health, education or other relevant professional qualification and working experience
- Minimum 3-7 years direct experience of child protection practice and the Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Up to date working knowledge of child care law, child protection policies and practice and current issues in relation to safeguarding children within Nigeria and the West African context
- A general appreciation of the issues concerning the NGO sector, both development and humanitarian issues
- Demonstrated experience in working with government at central and decentralized levels
- Multi-disciplinary experience of working successfully with senior managers in other parts of own/partner’s organization to deliver major operational change with a track record of delivering results to high standards
- Senior experience of a lead role in national on policy work either in the field of Child Protection/Safeguarding or Child’s Rights to achieve policy change
- Strong Coordination and networking skills
- Extensive experience of building personal internal and external networks at senior level
- Extensive experience of planning and undertaking training programs/workshops in child protection/safeguarding at a range of levels (e.g. field workers, managers, senior managers and decision makers)
- Strong analytical and conceptualization skills and the ability to think and plan strategically
- Influencing practice and policy, including communicating effectively and persuasively at all levels
- Facilitating learning, development and change for individuals and/or groups/organizations
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Preparing written reports or materials to a publishable standard in the English language
- Planning, delivering and evaluating training, capacity building, coaching and mentoring skills
- Organizing and managing a complex and demanding workload and working on own initiative
- Good understanding and knowledge of gender equity and diversity
- Experience working with NGOs
- Effective negotiator
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
Method of Application
Kindly send your C.V and qualifying statements to: Nigeria.ProgramsVacancy@savethechildren.org on or before June 15, 2015 explaining why you are suitable for the position you are applying for. State position clearly in the subject field as applications without appropriate subject will be disqualified. Also, applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Please note that applications will be treated as they are received and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In order to apply for more great opportunities, please visit our website onwww.savethechildren.net/jobs.
For more information and to support our work, please visit our website onwww.savethechildren.net
Our selection processes reflect our commitment to safeguard children from abuse. Our people are as diverse as the challenges we face.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE AN IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES? JOIN US!!!