Graduate Job at The United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Posted on: 26 May, 2015
Deadline: 8 June, 2015
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) is a programme of the UN organization, which promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and the supervision of the lead officer (Manager/Coordinator) for the Nigeria CT Project, the Junior Programme Officer (Counter Terrorism) will carry out a diverse work plan entailing specified assignments in the following main areas:
- Provide support for the substantive and organizational liaison with the project’s national counterpart entities and officials, and with international partners with field presence in Nigeria.
- Participate in and contribute to the planning, preparations for, implementation and coordination of project activities
- Participate in and contribute to project management, especially in ensuring project reporting, promoting project visibility, partnership building and mobilizing support
- Provide support for carrying out the project administration, such as project implementation monitoring and budget management.
- Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Excellent substantive and organizational liaison ensured with the project’s national counterpart entities and officials, and with the international partners with field presence in Nigeria. Effective and timely oral and written communications. Excellent networking.
- Timely and good quality substantive and organizational contributions for the planning, preparations for, implementation and coordination of project activities. Various written substantive products. Planning and execution of organizational details.
- Timely and good quality contributions for the project management, especially in ensuring project reporting, promoting project visibility, partnership building and mobilizing support. Various written products. Networking.
- Timely and effective support for carrying out the project administration, such as project implementation monitoring and budget management.
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed
- Experience in handling web-based management system
- Proficiency in Standard Computer Software (Word, Excel, Database, PowerPoint, Internet)
- Strong aptitude for learning computer based financial and program management software for monitoring programs
- Experience in the usage of ATLAS (Finance Application Access Module) will be an advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills
- Result oriented outlook
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree (bachelor degree) in Law, Criminology, Social Sciences, International Relations or related fields. An advanced university degree (Masters degree) is desirable.
- Familiarity with rule of law, criminal justice, crime and terrorism prevention.
- Professional work experience in criminal justice or related disciplines is desirable.
- UN Youth Volunteers can be within the age range between 18 to 29 years
- Strong interpersonal skills, incl. excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, team and networking skills.
- Proficient use of word, excel and power point.
- Evidence of ability to think strategically; to express ideas clearly; to work independently and in teams; sense of cultural and gender sensitivity.
- A strong commitment to development; commitment to work for counter terrorism an interest in adapting to varied physical and professional environments; and a desire to work with people with different language, national and cultural backgrounds.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about United Nations Volunteers (UNV)Similar Jobs
- Latest Job Openings at CBM International
- Latest Job Vacancies at Mercy Corps
- Logistics Vacancy at Secours Islamique France (SIF)
- Latest Jobs at Palladium Group
- Latest Job Opening at The Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)
- Procurement Coordinator at Save the Children Nigeria
- Job Vacancy at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Job Opportunity at Abt Associates