We're a leading international bank, with more than a 150-year history in some of the world's most dynamic markets.
We bank the people and companies driving investment, trade and the creation of wealth across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
With 1,600 branches and offices in 70 countries, we offer exciting and challenging international career opportunities.
- To effectively manage the irregular and substandard portfolio with Nigeria and report major irregularities.
- To identify potential problems and recommend action, for work - outs ensuring that such action is taken in order to minimize losses.
- To provide guidance to subordinates and other team members.
- To assist the Country Head of Group Special Assets in setting standards and strategies to be adopted/endorsed by Group Special Assets Area Head West Africa
- Report progress made on recoveries and comment on management to Country Head and or Area Head West Africa/ ED Finance and ED, OCC, CCRO Nigeria, CEO Nigeria.
- Over see the management and control of accounts falling within credits grades 12-14 and ensures action is implemented to minimize Bank losses and maximize recoveries.
- Direct and/or monitor plans for CG12 accounts and any non-performing accounts by review of SARR.
- Evaluate and advise on those accounts requiring interest suspension or provision and recommend write-downs and write off as necessary.
- Track real potential loss positions and maximum possible loss positions and endorse provision forecast.
- Handle customer enquiries and renegotiate repayment terms in difficult or exceptional cases.
- Liaisons with solicitors regarding repayments terms in difficult and exceptional cases.
- Manage solicitors regarding litigation process to ensure appropriate service is provided and recoveries are optimized with minimal legal cost to the Bank.
- Ensure remedial action s are taken when required to keep performance of the unit in line with business objectives
- Interpret MIS statistical information relating to performance of recoveries e.g. Delinquency ratio, volume of recoveries made, etc.
- Remain alert to the risk of money laundering and assist the Bank's effort in combating it by adhering to the key principles in relation to: identifying your customer, knowing your customer, reporting suspicions transaction, safeguarding records and not disclosing suspicions to customers.
- The development through appropriate training and other means, of quality personnel and equipping them with necessary competitive competencies and high level of skill equal to their responsibilities.
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL)
Credit Policy and Portfolio Committee
Early Alert Committee
To liaise with all Relationship Managers / OCC Units for submission of situational reports where such is deemed relevant.
Liaison with Relationship Managers, OCC , Credit Risk Control, Finance Department, Legal Department in respect of all matters to do with the Irregular and Substandard portfolio with Manager, Credit Risk Control for the raising and releases of provisions in respect of recoveries of bad debts.
Direct customer contact in respect of negotiations of account recovery
Liaison with Lawyers, Accountants, Liquidators , Receivers
The profit (profit/loss account) of Standard Chartered Bank by minimizing losses and maximizing recoveries on Impaired Accounts and by controlling/reducing the volume of Impaired Accounts to improve overall asset quality of the bank parties.
Ensure that scheduled returns are submitted to conform to laid down standards required by Group.
Decide on priority of attention concerning major irregular/problem loans, where promptness of action could result in substantial recoveries to the Bank.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Strong negotiation skills to manage problem accounts in Nigeria.
- Good interpersonal skills coupled with professional integrity in order to command respect and credibility in situations involving conflicting interests. (Internal and external).
- Tertiary academic qualification and/or extensive practical know-how in accounting, finance and banking practice and theory.
- Experience in the banking industry, with sound knowledge of risks involved in lending, particularly corporate lending.
- Sound understanding of economic/political trends in Nigeria.
- Sound understanding of accounting and legal practice in Nigeria.
- Wide knowledge on lending techniques and procedures
- Ability to resolve conflicts, manage crises and solve problems, withstand pressure, work fast, set priorities and organize management time among numerous accounts needing urgent attention simultaneously, with initiative, creativity, resourcefulness, analytical ability, energy and determination to execute and win.
- Good communication and diplomatic skills
- To accept full accountability, exercise initiative and have ability to motivate staff.
- Sound knowledge of group lending/ control policies and strategies.
FREEDOM OF DECISION MAKING
- The job holder operates within given parameters/guidelines in terms of pricing and risk trade-offs. Any deviations require escalation to appropriate levels.
- The job holder however maintains freedom of decision-making on specific account relationship strategy and is responsible for the quality of the portfolio.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.