If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen prevention of and response all forms of violence against children. In particular, assistance will be provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through modelling the system in four States, in order to demonstrate the impact of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Location: Northern Nigeria
VN No.: VN -NGR-45-2015
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement (SSA) for 11.5 months
Purpose of the Consultancy
To assist the Government of Nigeria in tine with the States Strategic Health Development Plans (SSHDP) to reduce maternal, newborn and child deaths by significantly improving the health and nutrition status of women and children under 5 years by ensuring an equitable and strengthened primacy health care delivery system.
Major Tasks to be accomplished
State and LGA:
- Work with the SMON, SPHCDA and other partners to support dissemination of national policy, strategy, guidelines and quality of care model for MNCH at state and LGA level.
- Support SMOH and SPHCDA by providing technical assistance to the development of good quality state and LGA annual operational plans and their review using the Primacy Health Care Mechanism,
- Support dissemination and use of approved training modules and guidelines on selected high impact Integrated Maternal New-born Child Health continuum of care interventions such as- Focused AnteNatal Care (FANC); Skilled Birth Attendance (SBA); Emergency Obstetric and New-born Care (EmONC); Helping Babies Breath (HBB); Post Natal Care (PNC); Community Based New-born Care and Integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) for diarrhea, malaria and pneumonia.
- Support state and LGA level supportive supervision, monitoring and evaluation of MNCH programmes.
- Priority areas of work to be supported at this level and strategy based on TSS model (Training, Supplies, Supportive Supervision) include but not limited to the following:
- Set up and implement a quality of care model for MNCH services in health facilities based on few selected high impact interventions.
- Train health workers using approved training modules and guidelines on selected high impact Integrated Maternal New-born Child Health continuum of care interventions with assistance of state and LGA based TOTs.
- Support end user monitoring of equipment and supplies provided to health facilities.
- Participate in On the Job Training, Supportive Supervision and mentoring of health workers.
Communities, villages, households:
- Support setting up of structures for implementation of Community Health Strategy - WDCs, VDCs, training of VHWs, CHEWs and of CHWs.
- End user monitoring of supplies and demand for MNCH services in communities and households.
- Use updated Mama/CHEW/CBNC kits as entry point for promotion of desired health seeking behaviour and link with immunization/polio related activities.
- Promote uptake of selected high impact family care practices jointly with other sections namely - C4D, Nutrition, Child Protection, Media, advocacy and communications and WASH.
- Promote uptake of integrated Community Case Management for diarrhoea, pneumonia and malaria.
- Required Experience: 5-7 year(s)
- Desired Courses: Health Sciences, Social Sciences, Public Health
- Advanced degree in Health, Social Sciences, or Public Health and university degree or related technical field.
- Five years experience working on child survival issues or health projects.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN working language an asset.
- Knowledge of local working language of the duty station, an asset.
- Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
- Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions and very good training skills.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Willingness to travel to remote regions & the country.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF'S mission and professional values.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application, accompanied by an updated CV in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form to: email@example.com
Click Here to Download the United Nations Personal History Form
Note: Candidate should indicate the Job Title they are applying for on the subject line of the email.