DEEPEN is a five-year UK government-funded programme designed to improve the quality of education in private schools in Nigeria.
The programme will support low-cost schools in particular and is initially focused on the private school market in Lagos.
The Intervention Leader for Information will design, manage and lead the programme’s interventions and activities to facilitate an improved information environment and better learning outcomes throughout Lagos’ private schools.
With guidance and assistance from the Information Specialist, Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader and Results and Learning (R&L) Leader, the Intervention Leader will also work to monitor and measure the impact of DEEPEN and to develop synergies across the programme to reduce the effect of wider market constraints.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The Intervention Leader for Information will have primary responsibility for all programme activities and interventions (including monitoring and results measurement (MRM)) within the Information work stream.
- Design, manage and periodically revise the overall intervention strategy within the Information work stream;
- Develop an activity plan and results chain for each intervention and review such documents on a periodic (at least quarterly) basis;
- Develop and manage the budget for each intervention and activity, and the Information work stream overall;
- Review and analyse a market assessment of current practices for generating, disseminating and exchanging information on education (particularly private education);
- Work with existing media partners to develop, design and manage a programme of support activities to improve the generation and dissemination of reliable and accurate information on education (particularly to low-income families).
- Work with further media stakeholders to create new partnerships to increase and enhance their educational coverage, as well as its quality, relevance and commercial viability;
- Work with and support mass media organisations to increase the effective and sustainable dissemination and communication of reliable educational information
- Manage a training and mentoring programme to build the capacity of reporters, journalists and broadcasters around the coverage of educational issues in Lagos
- Work with and support private school associations, the MOE, research bodies and other stakeholders to promote the generation of accurate informational content on education and the better use of different media channels, as well as build the capacity of the MOE and associations to access and communicate relevant information more effectively;
- Liaise with civil society organisations (CSOs) to review and support their activities around education information flows
- Explore and initiate new interventions, activities and/or partnerships;
- Conduct ongoing analysis of the constraints on the private education market;
- Identify areas for potential research;
- Provide the results and learning
team with regular data on work stream activities and progress as required;
- Engage the R&L team to undertake monitoring and evaluation activities (surveys, polling, etc) to support and validate Information outputs;
- Provide the Communications Officer with information on the Information interventions and activities
- Ensure that all aspects of the Information activities and interventions are conducted in such a way as to consider the impact on and maximise the learning outcomes of girls and children from low-income families; and
- Wherever possible, disaggregate all results and data from the Information work stream by gender and poverty to monitor the programme’s impact on girls and the poorest families specifically.
Competencies, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Significant professional experience working on media development and/or development communications projects or programmes, ideally with experience in education and/or international/social development.
- Excellent understanding of the commercial media market in Lagos and how the business works
- Strong understanding of Knowledge Management processes: research and data capture > processing/ packaging > communication
- Education to first level degree or equivalent.
- Strong strategic planning, project cycle management, financial and budgeting skills.
- Excellent communications skills (speaking, reading and writing).
Fluent in English
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Effective people and team management skills.
- Experience working in international and cross-cultural contexts.
- Confidence/proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc) and email packages.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Masters degree in media or communications education/research.
- Experience working with media houses
- Strong personal networks in media and media marketing.
- Experience of private education sector and/or low-cost private schools.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams in projects or programmes with components of social development and/or poverty reduction.
- Experience working with donor agencies (specifically DFID).
- Experience conducting training and facilitating workshops in a developing and cross-cultural context.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.