The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Programming and Budget Department (COPB) of the African Development Bank is responsible for development and coordination of the Bank-wide programming and budgeting processes that guides planning, deployment, and corporate performance monitoring of the Bank’s operational, human and financial resources in line with the Bank’s strategic goals and priorities.
Reporting to the Director COPB, the Manager will be responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of budget programming, policies and processes. The Division Manager, COPB.1, will perform the following duties :
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of the Budget Framework (BFD) and Program and Budget (PBD) Documents in collaboration with Strategy and Operational Policies (COSP), Resources Mobilization and External Finance( FRMB) , and Financial Management (FFMA) departments;
- Manage the Bank-wide medium term resource framework in line with corporate priorities, sustainable lending and resource options;
- Promote accountability for a greater predictability of resource requirements and utilization;
- Ensure coordination with operation complexes in order to formulate criteria and methodologies for determining country and sector resource allocations; and
- Update the regulatory framework and institutional governance of programming
Budget Policies and Processes
- Update the policies guiding budget management and enhancement of budget processes and integration into Bank-wide processes.
- Enhance budget policies and processes: (i) in line with the budget reforms; and/or (ii) based on feedback from the budget-user community within the Bank; and/or (iii) emanating from active benchmarking/best practice identification among sister institutions; (iv) ensure its integration with cross-cutting processes: integration with Human Resource (HR) planning, operations programming, support departments activities, etc.;
- Continuously review and enhance policies and processes related to the budget management activity (i.e. budget transfer, budget object creation, staff planning, policy or guidelines related to special initiatives, capital budget, etc.);
- Lead and coordinate the periodic reviews of the regulatory framework and institutional governance of the Bank’s budget processes; and carry out necessary budget processes reviews in line with policy changes
Budget Data Management :
- Responsible for leading the team in collecting, controlling, consolidating, storing and maintaining information related to budget preparations, including for prior years. Provides:
- Analytical tools to assess the alignment of budget submissions with set institutional priorities;
- Arbitration reports to facilitate decision making at Senior Management level;
- Guidance to organization units on efficiency gains and potential cost savings to optimize resource allocation and usage;
- Assessment of the reasonableness of budget submissions based on historical trend, submitted work programme, and budget execution data;
- Inputs to the multiyear/annual Programme and Budget Document (PBD) by preparing detailed and appropriate summary of budget information based on the quantitative data maintained;
- Verification and promotion of the existence, validity and reliability of data in Strategic Resource Assessment System (SRAS) and in the Bank Group Enterprise Resource Planning (SAP) system to ensure availability and usability; and
Budget Control Framework :
Ensure the reliability of the control framework during budget execution and that the following processes are efficiently carried out by the team:
- Perform first line user support roles by ensuring that SAP-CO system is well maintained and master data is efficiently maintained;
- Ensure budget controls enhancement, budget reconciliation (including SAP-FI/CO), and ensure the overall integrity and reliability of budget information system; and
- Lead all SAP-CO user related activities (SAP functional upgrade, carry over, budget loading and update, staffing control, budget transfer, CO-HR, FCR, etc.).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business Management or Administration or any related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant working experience, and at least two years of which should be in a management or leadership role.
- Knowledge in Budgeting policies, practices and regulations will be an added advantage
- Experience with preparation of strategic reports and/or research publications will also be an added advantage.
- Experience of working in a team oriented, multi-cultural international or professional environment
- Demonstrated capacity to lead and advice on new projects and initiatives and change management initiatives
- Track record of leading and developing teams and managing projects and programmes
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral skills to communicate effectively with a diverse group of people (clients, peers, supervisors and subordinates)
- Strong and proven client orientation skills and initiative in anticipation of business needs and finding solutions. Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help them deal with budget issues
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage time effectively to deal with multiple demands and deadlines
- Excellent spoken and written English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software(Word,Excel,Access,PowerPoint)
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.