Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 120 countries around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves. We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children's mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is looking for experienced development professionals to work within the Nigeria Country Programme. These roles will be critical for the delivery of results for children expected by this programme.
We are recruiting to fill the position of National Media Coordinator
Job ID: #987651
Career categories: Media/Communication
- Appropriate high impact promotion and protection of Save the Children's brand through the media is pivotal for advocacy, campaigning & fundraising.
- The post-holder will lead media work in the Nigeria Country Office, liaising closely and as necessary with the Country Director and the Regional Media Manager , when appropriate, as well as advocacy, campaigns, fundraising and other teams within the organisation.
- The post-holder will manage and host media visits, and pitch ideas to national and international press outlets, as well as act as a key focal point for all media requests regarding Save the Children in Nigeria. When necessary, this post-holder may act as a spokesperson.
- The post-holder will also support the function of risk mitigation, in co-operation with senior management and advocacy colleagues.
- As Media Coordinator, you will take responsibility for developing and leading media strategies for SC in Nigeria, in both humanitarian and development contexts.
You will provide oversight of media work in Nigeria and build the media capacity in country programs to:
- Develop and effectively implement media strategies for Nigeria;
- Manage media opportunities in Nigeria, with a focus on humanitarian and long-term development contexts;
- Coordinate media communication needs and initiatives in Nigeria with support to advocacy and campaigns in the region
- Build the capacity of communication staff in country program for effective media engagement
- Minimum of five years experience working as a journalist; previous NGO experience will be an advantage with MSc/BSc/HND in journalism, public relations or a related field.
- Experience working with national and international media such as The Daily Trust, Channels TV, BBC and Al-Jazeera with leading media activities in a challenging environment and a good knowledge of the Nigerian media scene, networks, and media contacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate complex issues and adapt for a variety of audiences with an innate ‘news’ sense and a proven ability to produce crisp, punchy media copy to tight deadlines. Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Word, power point and pdf.
- Fluent and nuanced written and verbal skills in local languages.
- Experience or knowledge of covering (e.g. for news) or working in areas affected by the humanitarian crises.
- A strong understanding of NGO policy/advocacy work in the context of development, and considerable experience working through the media on advocacy and campaigns.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send your C.V and qualifying statements to: Nigeria.ProgramsVacancy@savethechildren.org explaining why you are suitable for the position you are applying for. State position clearly in the subject field as applications without appropriate subject will be disqualified. Also, applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale