McKinsey is looking for an experienced external contractor to act as a Regional Coordinator for an anticipated programme on sustainable forestry and land use.
The broad objective of the programme is to catalyse increased private investment and public-private partnerships in sustainable forestry and agriculture. The programme will also aim to support a transformation to sustainability in markets for commodities that are associated with deforestation, including timber, palm oil, soya, beef, paper and board. The programme will run for four years with possibility of extension.
The Regional Coordinator is responsible for formulating and implementing the programme’s regional strategy, and reports to the Team Leader and the Deputy Team Leader. The position is based in West/Central Africa.
- Formulating and implementing the programme’s regional strategy and budget in West/Central Africa
- Regular communication and alignment of strategies with the programme’s central leadership team and other stakeholders
- Overseeing and managing an international team of short-term and long-term consultants, advisors as well as potential subcontractors
- Ensuring that an effective regional and local monitoring and evaluation framework is in place
- Coordinating all regional planning and reporting requirements of the programme
- University degree in either social sciences, business, finance, politics, agriculture, forestry, environmental management and conservation or other relevant field
- Minimum 8 years’ relevant work experience
- Experience in either sustainable forestry or sustainability in markets and supply chains for agricultural commodities associated with deforestation
- Experience in leading programmes involving high-level local and regional stakeholder engagements and public-private partnerships (prior experience of working with big international development agencies, for example DFID, USAID or World Bank, considered a plus)
- Solid experience in managing budget and technical and administrative teams in challenging environments and delivering against deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in outreach and partnership building across a range of stakeholders, particularly with private sector
- Direct experience or familiarity with the target geography is highly desirable
- Demonstrated management ability and experience
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Experience from working in international teams
- High level interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to be based in Central Africa with possibility of travel
- Fluent in English (knowledge of French and/or local language considered a plus)
- Passion for impact and learning