United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is supporting the Government of Nigeria to strengthen prevention of and response all forms of violence against children. In particular, assistance will be provided to strengthen the child protection system, including through modelling the system in four States, in order to demonstrate the impact of a well-functioning child protection system, to develop a common model for operationalizing the Child Rights Act at State level and to develop standardized tools, including regulations, working protocols and training manuals to govern the system.
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
VN No.: VN-NGR-35-2015
Locations: Adamawa, Borno and Yobe (Consultant for each duty station)
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement (SSA) for a months.
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The overall objective of the programme is to oversee and provide support to the implementation of the Safe Schools Initiative through engagement and interphase with state coordination committee, government partners and fellow development partners in the coordination of SSI Implementation.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Liaise and coordinate with SSC, SUBEB, and Ministry of Education to support lDP children's learning in the camps.
- Collaborate with the state level education stakeholders and attend State level Safe School Initiative (SSI) Coordination Committee meetings, document and share the minutes to UNICEF Abuja office
- Undertake regular assessment of new lDPs children and track and keep record of the school age children
- Establish a database of children enrolled in grades and per gender as well as number of teachers, their qualifications and grades.
- Establish a routine schedule of site visits to monitor SSI project operations, record keeping, collection of statistics and tracking forms, attendance rates, out of school children, classrooms in use, activity designs, and implementation.
- Support and monitor distribution of Education supplies including School-in-a-Box kits and School-in-a- Bag through procurement, tracking distribution and monitoring of use.
- Conduct regular assessment of lDP children attending schools for quality assurance,
- Identify training needs of teachers and education personnel in SoE State and provide technical support through interphase with state actors including Colleges of Education, SoE state MOE and SUBEB in organizing pedagogical, organizational, and logistical support in trainings.
- Facilitate planning, execution, and logistics of ToTs and Step-down training of teachers in collaboration with Local Government Education Authorities (LGEs), State Universal Basic Education Boards (SUBEB) and State Ministries of Education (SMoE) In the SoE state.
- Regularly communicate with UNICEF Abuja Office education staff responsible for the SoE state and discuss issues of concern on the Implementation of SSI project in lDP camps
- Monitor the use of SSI project resources, ensuring successful implementation of the project and provide monthly report on the status of the SSl project.
- Liaise with SoE SUBEB and State Ministry of Education in support provision for assessment of lDP children in host communities.
- Ensure that the project is implemented and realized in a timely manner in line with objectives and planned activities outlined in respective proposals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- An advance Degree in Education, Economics, Evaluations, Social Sciences and or related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in relate field
- Communication - Speaks fluently English and main local language; presents information with skill and confidence; projects credibility; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience; presents information in a well-structured and logical way.
- Relating and networking - Easily establishes good relationships with external partners and staff builds wide end effective networks; relates well to people at all levels.
- Drive for results - Sets high standards for quality of work; independently monitors and maintains quality of work; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals; focuses on the needs and satisfaction of internal and external partners; accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm.
- Formulating strategies and concepts - Works strategically to realize goals; sets and develops strategies;
- Analyzing - Analyzes numerical data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgments from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
- Deciding and initiating action - Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people: takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activities and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions.
- Familiarity with North East state context
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application, accompanied by an updated CV in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form to: email@example.com
Download the United Nations Personal History Form
Note: Candidate should indicate the Job Title they are applying for on the subject line of the email.