MSH, a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policymakers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, nongovernmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
The Director for Country Operations has primary responsibility for ensuring that MSH operations in Nigeria are functioning efficiently and effectively, and aligns to support attainment of project results and client expectations.
- Develop and execute responsive and appropriate operations management systems (for office management, local procurement, fleet management and logistics, consultant and subcontractor administration, etc.) in line with local laws and regulations, MSH policies and standard operating procedures, and donor requirements.
- Lead and manage the operations functions by aligning staffing and systems with country projects and available resources to provide timely, cost effective, and high quality support and administrative services to all MSH country-based projects and activities.
- Provide equitable, effective, timely, cost-effective, and high‐quality operations and administrative support to all MSH in-country projects within local laws and available resources, and in an environment with adequate internal controls, adherence to contracts regulations, MSH policies and standard operating procedures.
- Participate in routine management team meetings, and attend other meetings which are relevant to the operations activities, including country OST meetings.
- Coordinate execution of internal/external operations, financial or program reviews or audits, and ensures timely follow up to reviews or audits conclusions and recommendations that are relevant to operations in collaboration with the OST.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Operations Officer and country OST to achieve resolution of pending operations issues, questions and home office operations support requests. Communicate with other MSH HQ-based parties (Centers, projects, corporate offices) as needed to ensure proper consultation and notification of important information and issues.
Financial and Administrative Management
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of required administrative reports and other information as required, to the Uganda Team Lead, other Project Directors, Operations Officer, the country Operations Support Team (OST), Centers, projects, or corporate offices.
Procurement and Purchasing
- Manage purchase of common commercial goods and services.
- Manage procurement or contracting actions delegated to COMU.
- Customs and Import control.
- Manage local consultant agreements.
- Provides administrative supervision to all operations staff and is accountable for their performance management (including regular results, check-ins, formal appraisals, supportive supervision, rewards and empowerment, training, coaching and career development support).
- Work with the Nigeria Team Lead and other Project Directors to ensure that Human Resources functions are coordinated with the Human Resources Partner/Manager for Nigeria and US MSH Human Resources Management office.
- Promote and facilitate development of operations staff and sustainable systems, and participate in international cross-fertilization and knowledge exchange among other country operations groups.
Facilities and Office Services
- Manage MSH offices and facilities.
- Manage general office services.
- Manage Information Services.
- Property and asset management.
- Oversight of insurance, inspection, registration and operations for all MSH vehicles in country.
- In-Country travel and Logistics Services.
In-Country travel and Logistics Services
- Coordinate and oversee travel payments and logistics for all MSH in-country travel.
- Manage and monitor lodging, transportation, per diem and associated payments, including participant training, study tours, In-country events and workshops.
- Minimum of Post Graduate degree in business administration, accounting or other relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years mid to senior level experience managing operations of health or development programs in developing countries on a similar scale.
- Significant operations management experience, preferably in Nigeria strongly preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of US Government funded programs, regulations and requirements.
- Demonstrated success and familiarity experience in Uganda is particularly relevant.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong leadership, mentoring, management, analytical and organizational skills demonstrated by ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Strong conceptualization, facilitation, and planning skills.
- Possess outstanding professional reputation and have strong demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills. Excellent cross-cultural communication and active listening skills.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Navigating the Environment:
- Managing through Systems, Peer Relationships, Political Savvy Ensuring Delivery of Results:Action Oriented, Business Acumen, Drive for Results, Information Sharing, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Priority setting, Problem Solving.
- Leading with Credibility:
- Decision Quality, Functional/Technical skills, Listening, Managerial Courage, Time Management, Presentation skills, Motivating others, Conflict Management, Delegation, Developing Direct Reports and Others.
- Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Interpersonal Savvy.
- Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Quality and Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization.
- Core Personal Competencies:
- Core MSH competencies:
Job duration is 6 months to a year with a possibility of extension.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale