The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Resource Mobilization and External Finance Department (FRMB) is responsible for the strategic resource mobilization and the leveraging of the financial resources and instruments of the African Development Bank Group. The department’s role is to increase the pool and types of funding available to the Bank’s Regional Member Countries, particularly for transformative projects in line with the Bank’s Ten-year strategy.
FRMB.1 is responsible for fund raising initiatives and partnerships with sovereign entities, including the replenishment of the African Development Fund (ADF), the Nigerian Trust Fund and technical cooperation with legacy bilateral donors. It also coordinates the Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA), the allocation process of ADF resources among beneficiary countries (PBA), and monitors their use in accordance with the relevant ADF policies and guidelines.
In this regard, this Chief Resource Mobilization Officer position will play crucial part working with the Division Manager of FRMB.1 as well as the Director of the FRMB in the development of strategic options for positioning the Bank Group in the global aid architecture, mobilizing and deploying its resources, by contributing to the planning, conceptualization, elaboration and presentation of the Bank Group key resource mobilization and negotiation documents.
- Take a leadership role in the organization and coordination of the ADF replenishment and mid-term review processes, including the management of relationships with ADF Deputies, as well as contributing to discussions, papers, presentations on the ADF’s financial and related issues (e.g., the long-term financial sustainability and capacity of the ADF, alternative sources of funding, innovative instruments, etc.);
- Take a leadership role and/or contribute to the monitoring and reporting on the utilization of the different ADF resource envelopes, in collaboration with the other relevant departments;
- Take a leadership role in working with other units in the Bank to maintain and regularly updating of the Bank’s HIPC and MDRI dossiers and related debt issues as well as arrears; leading the drafting support of periodic reports on RMCs’ sovereign debts, debt sustainability, and debt management, including those in response to requests from management, MDBs or donors.
- Lead and/or contribute to the development of strategic options for positioning the Bank Group in the global aid architecture, mobilizing and deploying its resources, by contributing to the planning, conceptualization, elaboration and presentation of the Bank Group key resource mobilization and negotiation documents;
- Play a key role in coordinating resource mobilization through co-financing, trust funds, special initiatives and any other innovative partnership mechanisms; while also promoting the utilization of mobilized resources by user Departments, monitoring their disbursement, and preparing progress reports/financial reports to the respective Donors;
- Contribute and/or participate in the organization of regular internal and external outreach events for the benefit of staff, clients and other stakeholders, to explain the activities of the different funds and key drivers of the allocation system;
- Organize business development and strategic initiatives consultations and meetings with key sovereign partners; and effectively monitor the implementation progress of any existing or new partnership agreements formalized with those partners;
- Organize high-level partnerships events and forums, including the annual AfDB Partnership Forum, involving the Board Members, Senior Management and traditional and emerging partners globally;
- Provide internal stakeholders with regular information and analysis of development partner funding priorities to strengthen opportunities for target fundraising and facilitate the coordination and collaboration between Bank Group business units ;
- Help organize and lead key Multilateral Development Bank (MDB) meetings and working groups of important donors and international meetings, as required;
- Contribute to the effective collaboration with other departments and complexes; and
- Help mentor junior team members.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in finance, economics, international affairs and/or other relevant fields;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience including in resource mobilization, project development and implementation preferably across public, private and/or non-profit sectors along with established operational track record in achieving results; (fundraising with international, public and private sector a major plus);
- Proven quantitative and qualitative analytical and problem solving skills including familiarity with financial modeling techniques; understanding underlying statistical concepts of the work; (experience in treasury, corporate finance, risk management, or accounting would be pluses);
- Proven ability to take initiative, innovate, adapt and make smart decisions; to create, apply, and share knowledge; to share expertise and learning; to develop self and others; to expand networks; to collaborate within teams and across boundaries; to be inclusive and exhibit good corporate citizenship.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French (with a working-knowledge of the other language) including the ability to think strategically and synthesize complex issues into effective written and oral briefs;
- Ability to apply a practical approach to problem solving, produce high quality work outputs, effectively prioritize, and adaptation skills at times of competing and unexpected demands;
- Proven interpersonal, relationship building and diplomatic skills as well as a high degree of discretion and tact necessary to effectively maintain good relationships with partner countries and the Bank shareholders;
- Proven ability to identify and provide sound advice on policy and financial issues, setting priorities and weighing tradeoffs;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.