Jobs at Family Health International (FHI)
Posted on: 24 January, 2012
Deadline: 7 February, 2012
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Family Health International
FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition, education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions. We seek qualified candidates for Director, Health Systems Strengthening and Lab Services in our Africa, Asia, Caribbean, and Latin America offices.
Director, Health Systems Strengthening and Lab Services
The Director will work on strengthening the necessary systems to ensure sustainable and efficient delivery of effective health services at the different levels of care. S/he will provide technical and managerial oversight in the planning, implementation and monitoring of FHI Nigeria’s health policy and systems initiatives. S/he will participate actively in the provision of technical assistance to the Ministry of Health, other government agencies and stakeholders at all levels to develop/review, implement and monitor health systems policies and strategies. S/he will also provide operational oversight of all aspects of the FHI laboratory services in Nigeria in the program, including supply chain management, laboratory best practices, capacity building and quality assurance and improvement of cost-efficient laboratory services with defined quality standards on tertiary, secondary and primary service level.
With support from the STA HSS, lead the development of FHI Nigeria’s health systems strengthening strategy and work plans that clearly addresses
* Improving services delivery at the facilities
* Health workforce and its management
* Health financing
* Strengthening procurement supply chain management, especially at the LGA level
* Improving stewardship and governance for health at the different levels
* Strengthening the management information systems for health
* Collaborate with the MOH and other partners to develop innovative technical strategies, tools and systems to strengthen health systems at the LGA level.
* Provide within FHI, information and capacity development for senior decision-makers in the design and implementation of evidence-based health systems policies and practices related to their technical programs and units.
* Provide technical and strategic advice to the Government of Nigeria, USG and other national and international institutions on all aspects related to the cost-efficient organization of health systems strengthening strategies at tertiary, secondary and primary service level.
* Follow up technological developments and advise on its application in the context of HSS, quality and cost implications for the various service levels.
* In collaboration with the STA Lab Services, monitor and mentor laboratories supported by FHI to ensure continuous improvement of performance of these laboratories compared to defined quality standards
* Plan and implement trainings for laboratory or any other staff tasked with the management and day-to-day practice of laboratory functions.
* In collaboration with the STA Lab Services, plan and implement internal and external lab quality procedures in accordance with national and international practices.
* Provide technical leadership in the procurement and maintenance of laboratory equipment and applying best practices to these processes.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
* Excellent knowledge of the political, social and health system of Nigeria. Sound knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in relation to HIV/AIDS care, treatment and support, as well as HIV prevention and provision of lab services. Knowledge of international health systems policies, best practices and issues.
* Considerable experience in designing and implementing HIV/AIDS care and support projects in developing countries. Expertise with donor funded programs, particularly PEPFAR and/or Global Fund.
* Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationship with key internal and external stakeholders; experience in collaborating and coordinating with the Ministry of Health and partners. Proven negotiation and advocacy skills.
* Well-developed written and oral communication skills. Proven ability to prepare/review complex technical reports.
* Thorough understanding of QA/QI processes.
* Familiarity with the scientific literature on HIV/AIDS and with research on public health issues.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
* Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance. Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
* Ability to adapt easily to changing needs and patterns of work, manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
MBBS/MD or PhD in Economics, Health Economics, Public Policy, Health Policy, Public Health, Lab Science or similar degree with 7 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience.
Or MS/MA in Economics, Health Economics, Public Policy, Health Policy, Lab Science or similar degree and an MPH with 9 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience.
Or BS/BA in Economics, Health Economics, Public Policy, Health Policy, Public Health, Lab Science or similar degree with 11 years relevant experience with international development programs which includes 5 years of relevant supervisory experience.
At least 5 years’ experience in applied health policy analysis and development at national and international levels as well as in capacity building and policy advisory work.
Excellent knowledge of health financing and health workforce issues.
Experience in health systems research and policy advisory is required
Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems, international donor organizations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
Senior Program Officer
The Senior Program Officer will work with the Zonal Management Team to provide oversight, coordination, monitoring and reporting support for all FHI Nigeria activities in the assigned zone and states. S/he will also coordinate capacity development efforts in support of state and IA staff, as well as contribute to the development and maintenance of systems that effectively respond to USAID requirements for project management.
Minimum Recruitment Standards:
BSc or BA in Public Health or related sciences, or its recognized equivalent with 7-9 years of relevant experience with international development programs or MSc/MA degree in Public Health or related sciences or its recognized equivalent with 5- 7 years relevant experience with international development programs.
Log on to www.fhi360.org/careercenter to register and submit CV and cover letter including salary demands.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Family Health InternationalSimilar Jobs
- Transcriber/Transcriptionist at PeachAid Medical Initiative (PMI)
- Jobs at Marie Stopes International (MSION)
- Finance Intern at WaterAid Nigeria
- Financial Secretary at The Skills Outside School Foundation
- Job Opportunity at Oxfam
- Latest Job Vacancies at The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
- Accounting Job at the German Leprosy and TB Relief Association (GLRA)
- Finance Manager at Creative Associates International