Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
Pathfinder seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated RMNCH project in Nigeria. The purpose of the project is to increase access to and uptake of high quality Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) services in Nigeria. This project will contribute to state-level reduction in under-five and maternal mortality, and to increased capacity of health systems (public and private) to sustainably support access to primary health care. The project will work closely with and support state governments, while strengthening their capacity in developing a robust plan for the health sector annually and provide support for its implementation.
The Chief of Party has overall responsibility for leading and managing the RMNCH project in Nigeria to ensure that the project achieves its intended impact. S/he provides strategic leadership and managerial oversight of the administrative, programmatic, technical, and operational aspects of the Project. The Chief of Party oversees the day-to-day work of the Project and is responsible for the effective use and deployment of staff and financial resources to achieve project targets. S/he is accountable for all aspects of the Project’s effective management, including financial and budgetary oversight, timely implementation of activities, and stakeholder relationship management.
- Provide strategic direction of Project activities. Develop and update the Project strategic plan, ensuring that programmatic directions are technically sound, evidence-based and consistent with National priorities.
- Ensure that Project performance objectives and mandated deliverables such as technical activities, annual work plans and programmatic/financial/technical reports are carried out in a timely fashion and meet the highest quality standards.
- Provide leadership and direction to Monitoring and Evaluation strategies, frameworks, plans and indicators to capture project performance and results. Lead a periodic implementation review process to monitor progress and to identify specific actions that may be needed to achieve expected results.
- In collaboration with Project staff, establish and maintain the ongoing administrative and financial operations of Project offices, ensuring compliance with Pathfinder International’s policy and USAID contract provisions.
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly and adhered to by the Project staff. Monitor the security situation and provide leadership for staff in emergencies.
- Employ appropriate management procedures to ensure that all resources are in place, adhered to, and in compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Work with Pathfinder International Headquarters and Country Office to develop policies and procedures that improve efficiency and quality.
- Select, hire, and supervise staff and subcontractors; assign roles and responsibilities, manage performance.
- Develop, monitor and revise budget pipeline and conduct monthly reviews to ensure accountability of all Project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of finance deliverables.
- Approve expenditures in accordance with Pathfinder International and USAID procedures, cost principles, and regulations.
- In coordination with Pathfinder International Contracts Officer, contract with and manage local individuals/organizations for identified tasks in compliance with USAID and Pathfinder International procedures. Negotiate consultancy.
- Partner successfully with Pathfinder International’s Country Representative and Headquarters financial, technical, and operations backstop officers by providing accurate and timely reporting and updates on the Project progress and challenges.
- Cultivate and strengthen positive, productive relationships with USAID, partners, Ministry of Health and other governmental agencies ensuring that Pathfinder International is consistently viewed as an effective implementing partner in meeting and achieving project targets.
- Manage and coordinate activities of subcontractors and partners to create synergy and ensure that project responsibilities are carried out in accordance with donor regulations.
- Document Project achievements for communications materials such as the annual reports, brochures, and website updates.
- Identify prospective business development opportunities.
- Assist Development teams in planning for and developing proposal submissions.
- Perform other tasks to ensure effective implementation of the Project as required.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, social sciences, international development or related field.
- Extensive experience living and working in Nigeria
- Minimum of ten years of experience managing mid-to-large scale donor-funded projects in RMNCH program areas in developing and transitioning countries.
- Hands-on experience working effectively with senior Government personnel, international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U. S. Government Agencies.
- Demonstrated experience successfully fulfilling performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Significant operations and financial management experience in developing countries.
- Proven experience in designing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating development and intervention activities with USAID.
- Direct senior staff supervision experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of public and/or private health systems, decentralization of services, and the latest professional developments in HIV prevention, care and treatment, and maternal and child health.
- Demonstrated management skills working with complex programs involving short deadlines, multiple tasks, intense pressure to perform, and coordination with multiple partners.
- Thorough understanding of and ability to analyze finanical documents, projections, expenditures and accruals.
- Excellent diplomatic, interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated capabilities in institutional capacity building, and high-level strategic visioning and leadership.
- Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relations with senior Government personnel, international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U. S. Government Agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate, mentor and direct all levels of staff while creating a positive team environment.
- Familiarity with community-based approaches for service delivery and procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects.
- Excellent knowledge of the political, social, economic, and cultural context of working in Nigeria and thorough understanding of applicable US Government regulations and administrative procedures.
- Strong representation skills including the ability to present results and products to USAID and other key stakeholders such as the Ministry of Health.
- Expert computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must be fluent in English.
- Position requires extensive in-country travel.
- Occasional travel to the US Headquarters may be required.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.