Devex is assisting an international non-profit information and communication technology services organization focused on health systems and solutions in its search for a Country Director to be based in Nigeria.
The Country Director represents the organization in Nigeria and is responsible for overall management of the operation, including project coordination and oversight, budgeting, staff management, long-range and short-range planning. S/he builds and develops relationships with local, national, and regional partners/clients and with skilled professionals in the region, with an eye toward future collaboration. Represents the organization and its programs at professional and other meetings in Nigeria. Works with the organization’s management and staff on planning and implementation of programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, the Country Director must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supports the organisation’s mission and philosophy and reviews management’s performance in meeting organisation goals in Nigeria.
- Annually assesses the environment in Nigeria and, working with the Executive Directors and CFO, develops the organisation’s strategy in relation to the environment.
- Assists with the development of the organisation’s plans for funding the organization’s Nigeria strategy on an annual basis.
- Reviews and develops the organisation’s five year financial goals for Nigeria
- Develops short-range goals for the organization.
- Participates in program development and the writing of project proposals to establish new programs and/or extend existing programs in Nigeria
- Annually reviews and develops the country’s budget for Executive Director and CFO approval.
- Manages financial and fiscal administration for Nigeria, assuring compliance with proper accounting procedures required by law and funding sources. Reports regularly to Executive Directors and CFO about progress towards organizational objectives, financial status of organization and other issues of concern to the organization.
- Approves major policies.
- Elects, monitors, appraises, advises, supports, rewards and changes management when necessary.
- Ensures that the status of organisational strength and manpower planning is equal to the requirements of the long range goals in Nigeria.
- Approves appropriate compensation and benefit policies and practices.
- Annually approves the performance review of management and establishes compensation based on recommendations of the Executive Directors and CFO.
- Advances the mission of the organisation through management of issues and the associated work.
- Reviews the results achieved by management as compared with the organisation’s philosophy, annual and long range goals, short-range goals, partner/client goals, and the performance of similar organisations.
- Provides candid and constructive criticism, advice, and comments.
- Identifies opportunities for impact in the community and country.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with others and leverage resources
- Serves as key contact with partners/clients in Nigeria and provides reports as needed.
- Builds awareness of the organization and promotes communication of issues and accomplishments to the public.
- Establishes operating procedures and makes decisions in all matters of administrative and supervisory detail in connection with the operation and maintenance of the organization in Nigeria, ensuring they support the mission and philosophy of the organization at all times.
- Initiates and directs the implementation of the organization’s policies and procedures. Ensures that the organization’s policies are administered consistently and conform to country mandates.
- Manages the maintenance of the physical facilities owned / rented by the organization.
- Ensures that terms of all contractual agreements are met.
- Ensures that employee(s) perform their duties as identified in their job descriptions.
- Identifies and evaluates the risks to the organisation’s people in Nigeria (partners/clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implements measures to control risks
- Ensures the organisation carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage for Nigeria
- Ensures that the management and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage.
- Ensures that the Executive Directors, CFO, and partners/clients, as agreed, are adequately and currently informed, through reports and other methods, of the condition of the organisation and its operations.
- Verifies that published reports properly reflect the operating results and financial condition of the organisation in Nigeria.
- Ascertains that management has established appropriate policies to define and identify conflicts of interest throughout the organisation in Nigeria, and is diligently administering and enforcing those policies.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures compliance with laws and regulations
- May frequently travel between company worksites. Some international travel may be required
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments
- Is consistently at work and on time
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment
- Attends and participates in annual strategic planning meetings, country management meeting, staff meetings, training classes and supervision
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures
- Adheres to the organization’s Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organisation’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Supervises assigned Management and Administrative staff.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
Education / Experience:
- Master’s degree in Public Administration or other related field or equivalent years of education and work experience.
- Five or more years of progressive management experience, including project design, in an international organization or non-profit organisation
- Experience working within US federally funded programs
- Experience in marketing, business development, and managing and writing proposals
- Demonstrated executive/managerial skills, including experience managing complex programs
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex budgets, develop staff, and work with executive management on both short and long term strategic planning
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of the political, economic and social context in Nigeria, as well as experience working with the local government, universities and professional organizations
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively communicate via writing, public speaking and interpersonal interactions
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with Board of Directors, funders, community organisations, government officials, corporate executives, general public and staff
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of human resources management, financial management and project management.
- Computer Skills: Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite; Proficiency working within specialized software utilized in programs
- Language Ability:
- English is the spoken and written language.
- Bilingual skills in French are preferred (speaking, writing, reading).
- Ability to read, analyse, proof and edit documents, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from executive and senior managers, employees, the general public and clients/partners.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.