Our client is a leading private educational institution with a Group of Schools established with a reputation of delivering highest standard in education in Nigeria and Africa through quality all-round education, from kindergarten to tertiary level.
The headteacher will be responsible to provide dynamic and professional leadership for the school that builds upon change to secure its continued success and improvement, ensuring high quality education for all its students and improved standards of achievement.
STRATEGIC DIRECTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE SCHOOL
Provide inspiring and purposeful leadership for the staff and pupils.
To work in partnership with the governing body, staff and parents generating the ethos and values which will underpin the school.
To continue to implement a Development Plan which will secure continuous school improvement
To monitor and evaluate the performance of the school and respond and report to the governing body as required.
To ensure that management, finances, organisation and administration of the school supports its vision and aims.
To ensure that all those involved in the school are committed to its aims, motivated to achieve them, and involved in meeting long, medium and short term objectives and targets which secure the educational success of the school.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
Continue to maintain an environment that promotes and secures good teaching, effective learning, high standards of achievement and good behaviour.
Determine, organise, implement and monitor the curriculum and its assessment and ensure that statutory requirements are met.
Ensure that pupils develop study skills in order to learn more effectively and with increasing independence.
Determine and implement policies which promote:
a) Positive strategies for developing good race relations and dealing with racial incidents.
b) Equality of access.
Determine and implement positive strategies and programmes which ensure good pupil behaviour and discipline and give support and clear guidance on exclusions.
LEADING AND MANAGING STAFF
Plan, allocate, support and evaluate work undertaken by groups, teams and individuals, ensuring clear delegation of tasks and devolution of responsibilities in a manner consistent with conditions of employment.
Implement and sustain effective systems for the management of staff performance, incorporating performance management and target setting.
Promote and monitor the continuing professional development of staff, including the induction of newly qualified teachers.
Ensure that professional duties are fulfilled, as specified in the Terms and Conditions of Service of teachers, including those of headteacher.
Participate in the arrangements made in accordance with the regulations for performance management and threshold assessment, and to participate in the identification of areas in which the Headteacher would benefit from further training and undergoing such training.
EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE DEPLOYMENT OF STAFF AND RESOURCES
Work with senior colleagues to recruit and retain staff of the highest quality.
Make arrangements for the security and effective supervision of the school buildings, their contents and the grounds.
Set appropriate priorities for expenditure, allocation of funds and effective administration and control.
Manage, monitor and review the range, quality and use of all available resources in order to improve the quality of education, improve pupils’ achievements, ensure efficiency and secure value for money.
Continue to develop an organisation in which all the staff recognise that they are accountable for the success of the school.
Ensure that parents/carers and pupils are well informed about the curriculum, attainment and progress and about the contribution they can make in supporting their child’s learning and achieving the school’s targets for improvement.
Provide information, objective advice and support to the Governing Body to enable it to meet its responsibilities for securing effective teaching and learning and improved standards of achievement, and for achieving efficiency and value for money.
Carry out any such duties as may be reasonably required by the Governing Body.
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN & SAFER RECRUITMENT
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people as required and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment
The Headteacher should ensure that:
- The policies and procedures adopted by the governing body are fully implemented and followed by all staff.
- Sufficient resources and time are allocated to enable the designated person and other staff to discharge their responsibilities, including taking part in strategy discussions and other inter-agency meetings, and contributing to the assessment of children.
- All staff and volunteers feel able to raise concerns about poor or unsafe practice in regard to children, and such concerns are addressed sensitively and effectively in a timely manner in accordance with agreed whistle blowing practices.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The prospect must demonstrate:
- Significant teaching experience
- Proven expertise in leading a Core Subject
- Proven record of raising standards and securing good progress through outstanding classroom practice
- Proven experience of managing staff, leadership and team building
- Experience of leading in-service training with staff
- Up to date knowledge of child protection procedures and a commitment to safeguarding pupils
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidates should have a minimum of 7 years experience with a Master's degree in Education Administration, Curriculum Development or Quality Control, some of which should have been in a school leadership position.
- At least 3 years experience in a similar position.
- You should have experience of teaching primary and/or early years learners.
- Interested candidates should have a good understanding of curriculum, including the Nigerian and British Curriculum.
- Experience in a leadership position is a must.
- The Ideal candidate should understand how to implement quality assurance for the school while raising standards of all educational services.
go to method of application »
The Principal is the chief administrative officer of the school and is charged with the responsibility for the operation of the school. He/she is directly responsible to and shall operate the school according to the By-laws, Policies and Procedures, and philosophy formulated by the School Board.
- Demonstrate clear vision, motivation and leadership to the academic teams.
- Ensure that the objectives and ethos of the school are met by all staff.
- Inspire and motivate staff to promote the holistic development of the pupils.
- Promote effective relationships with supporting bodies outside of the school including local education authorities and social services.
- Promote services and oversee an efficient admissions and assessment process to maximise appropriate referrals and placements for the school
- Treat people fairly, equitably, with dignity and respect to create and maintain a positive school culture.
- Ensure that improving standards of learning and care remain at the centre of planning and resource management for the School.
- Develop and enhance the strategic plan for the School and the Centre whilst ensuring that services remain operationally effective, financially viable and responsive to changing needs over time.
LEADING, LEARNING AND TEACHING
- Ensure a culture and ethos of challenge and support where all pupils become engaged in their own learning and development, realise their potential and live life to the full.
- Use data as benchmarks to monitor student progress within the waking day curriculum.
- Determine, organise and implement a diverse flexible curriculum and implement an effective assessment framework
- Monitor, review and evaluate the impact of classroom practice and promote improvement strategies.
- Ensure pupil behaviours are pro-actively and effectively managed to minimise potential barriers to learning and personal development.
- Demonstrate and articulate high expectations and set stretching targets for the whole school community.
- Challenge under performance at all levels and ensure effective corrective action and follow up.
- Celebrate achievements and maximise internal and external opportunities for recognition through accreditation.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND TEAM BUILDING
- Ensure an effective organizational structure is in place to deliver the waking day curriculum and organisational objectives.
- Ensure that staffs are motivated, skilled and that their professional development needs are met in order to continue to meet and anticipate the needs of the pupils.
- Ensure that professional duties are fulfilled as specified in the job descriptions, terms of conditions of service for teachers, care and other staff.
- Deploy staff effectively in order to improve and maintain a high quality of education and care within the resources available.
- Maintain effective line management, staff supervision, appraisal, training and development practices to meet organisational objectives and accountabilities.
- Establish an effective method of team working and communication in order to share knowledge and develop the service provided.
- Ensure that staff are aware of the aims and priorities of the School, motivated and empowered to achieve objectives and targets and promote the educational and life skills development of each pupil.
- Identify and take appropriate remedial action whenever performance of staff is unsatisfactory.
- Promote and manage the health and safety of staff and students ensuring that risk assessments and staff training are of a sufficiently high standard to protect the welfare and health and safety of pupils and staff.
MANAGING FINANCE AND RESOURCES
- In conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer and Director of Finance agree appropriate priorities for expenditure ensuring that expenditure is effective, well targeted, managed and monitored.
- Manage the school’s human resources effectively and efficiently within legal frameworks in order to achieve organisational objectives.
- Manage the accommodation efficiently to ensure that all school accommodation is utilized successfully for the benefit of the pupils.
- Effectively market and promote the school to maintain target pupil numbers and ensure the continuing long term viability of the service.
- Report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and work with the Governing Body, parents and other stakeholders to provide a high quality service.
- Advice and support the Governing Body, providing such reports as necessary, to help ensure it continues to meet its responsibilities.
- Inform parents of the direction and priorities of the curriculum and pupils’ attainment and progress.
- Ensure individual staff accountabilities are clearly defined, understood and agreed and are subject to timely and effective review and evaluation.
- Ensure timely compliance with policies, procedures, plans and objectives as agreed for the School and/or the Centre as appropriate.
- Liaise and co-operate with officers of local authorities, reporting in connection with discharge of the School Principal functions as they may properly require.
- Present accurate and comprehensible accounts of the school’s performance in forms appropriate to a range of audiences.
- Work in partnership with parents and governors to develop and support the pupils’ achievements and personal development.
- Develop and nurture links within the local community to enable the pupils to participate in suitable activities whilst maintaining their physical and emotional health.
- Collaborate with other agencies in providing academic, spiritual, moral, social, emotional and cultural well being of pupils and families.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The prospect must demonstrate:
- Familiarity with use of Microsoft Word, Outlook and with Excel at a basic level
- Proven manager in special education with team leadership experience
- Developing and managing positive behaviour programmes in a school setting
- Budget and Resource Management
- Proven track record of positive career progression within education sector
- Management of various relevant curriculum programmes
- Principles of designing, managing and delivering an effective curriculum
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A higher degree of Masters or PhD in Education would be an added advantage and must have registered with the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN).
- Candidates without a Master degree should have a minimum of 15-20 years teaching experience with some of this experience in school leadership position
- At least 10 years work experience in the education industry, 3 of which shall be in a managerial position (previous experience as a Principal in a similar school setting will be an added advantage.
- Well developed organisational and management/leadership skills
- Ability to communicate very effectively and persuasively at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Assimilate and analyse complex information to enable timely decision making
- Ability to set “smart” goals/targets and lead change if necessary to achieve them.
- Strategic Planning
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale