The Office of the Special Envoy on Gender has the objective to implement, the Bank Group’s Gender Strategy. The strategy recognizes the need to reduce gender inequalities by ‘’strengthening women’s legal and property rights, promoting women’s economic empowerment, and enhancing knowledge management and capacity building on gender equality. These priority areas, defined and agreed in board consultations with African countries, form the pillars of the Bank’s Gender Strategy for 2014-2018. The Bank is committed to contributing to the realization of this vision through work on two tracks: (i) an external transformation into a developmental partner that effectively uses gender dimension to leverage more sustainable developmental interventions for the benefit of beneficiaries and other stakeholders in its regional member countries (RMCs), and (ii) an internal transformation into a supportive, gender-responsive institution that values its female and male staff equally, protects them from discrimination and all forms of harassment and violence, and ensure a safe and preferred work environment that attracts the best professionals.
Reporting to the Special Advisor on Gender, the main responsibility of the Advisor to the Special Envoy on Gender is to assist and advise in the planning, organizing, coordinating and implementing the activities of the Unit or office. The incumbent’s role includes but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Support and advise the Special Envoy on Gender in the coordination and implementation of the work programs of the Gender Strategy across and within the Bank’s Operational activities
- Provide advice into the preparation of work programs of Complexes to ensure that sound quality gender approaches inform program design, management and implementation.
- Monitor progress on the implementation of the strategy and report to the Special Envoy on Gender, for the Board, Senior Management and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and implement decisions made by the Board, and Senior Management and other bodies in respect of the activities of the Unit.
- Provide advice on the design of appropriate gender sensitive indicators and tools in the performance measurement framework and support operational departments in the monitoring and reporting on the Gender aspects of project objectives and results / outputs against agreed key indicators.
- Review and advise the Special Envoy on the implications to Gender Strategy Work programs of relevant policies, strategies, reports and other documents submitted by Bank Complexes to SMCC OPSCOM, the Board and other stakeholders.
- Advise the Unit on emerging matters of strategic, policy and institutional significance, including the formulation/update of the Bank Group’s Gender Policies, Strategies, and Guidelines.
- Support and follow-up actions on the Unit’s participation in internal meetings or events (e.g. Board meetings, Bank AGM); and external regional and international meetings, workshops, seminars, conference etc. Where matters related to gender are discussed – including preparing the necessary technical reports, briefing materials, speeches, presentations, and feedback reports for the Bank.
- Provide technical support and advice to the Unit in their interaction with other Complexes to ensure effective coordination and communication in Gender Strategy program implementation- including participating in activities aimed at improving Bank-Wide activities such as representing the Unit in relevant Bank Committees, Initiatives, Task Forces, etc.
- Coordinate the Unit’s relationship with other Multilateral Development Banks, International Organizations, bilateral agencies, research organizations etc., to monitor and analyze developments, and share and learn best practices on gender in Africa and the world.
- Document lessons learnt for policy dialogue, public advocacy and future programming, disseminating learning within the Bank and externally.
- Advise and support the Special Envoy on management of matters pertaining to the budget and resources requirements related to the Unit inclusive of resourcing of professional staff to develop and maintain a mix and level of skills appropriate to the evolving operational needs of the Unit and the Bank.
- Represent the Special Envoy on Gender and the Bank when assigned, inclusive of at key strategy and policy meetings and discussions with various stakeholders on gender matters.
- Execute any other duties as assigned by the Special Envoy on Gender.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Sociology, and Anthropology, Economics or closely related area.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of gender-specific policies, strategies, programs and projects.
- Relevant professional experience gained in an African setting or other developing countries.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of regional social issues, analysis and policy formulation.
- Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries or other developing countries.
- Experience of coordinating or leading corporate assignments across institutional boundaries.
- Ability to network and build partnerships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong leadership and people management skills; as well as ability to influence without executive authority, and diplomacy skills.
- Result-oriented individual with ability to work in a fast and pressured multicultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and / or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale