Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 120 countries around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves. We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
The Internal Control Manager is responsible for ensuring that all Save the Children and donor guidelines and policies are complied with while evaluating the effectiveness of the governance, risk management and control systems in place. As a member of the SMT s/he will advise on any additional steps that need to be taken to ensure the protection of the programme’s assets, funds and reputation. S/he will undertake regular checks of procedures and documentation in all of Save the Children’s offices in Nigeria and will serve as a liaison for all external audit and regulatory agencies.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- To lead the Senior Management Team on regularly updating in-country risk assessments and in implementing mitigation measures.
- Lead on all fraud investigations and in documenting these and reporting to the CD internally and to the regional finance director and regional fraud director in the regional office.
- Work closely with programme development unit on incorporating a risk culture whilst developing high risk awards.
- Lead, plan, conduct, report and follow up assignments from internal and external audits and other control action plans on time and to a high standard. Some of these assignments will require the internal control manager to assume the lead role.
- Ensure that relationships with all ‘clients’ remain strong, through effective networking.
- Deliver training as required to reinforce risk mitigation, fraud awareness and compliance with meeting log frame results
- Conducting spot-audits tests of the internal controls in finance, Human resources, award, logistics, operations and programme.
- Flag significant internal control weaknesses to the country director and senior management and support the monitoring of agreed actions to reinforce those weak controls.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified internal auditor or compliance manager
- Extensive experience in relevant operational areas (e.g. in programme/project management in an INGO context) and experience of risk-based auditing.
- Be highly accurate, detail-orientated, and able to complete multiple projects, with conflicting priorities, on a timely basis
- Excellent report English writing skills
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and relationship building
- Willingness to undertake high amount of travel within the NIGERIA SCI field locations (40%) and work with minimum supervision under difficult conditions in some of the most underdeveloped, insecure and remote parts of NIGERIA.
- Strong cultural awareness and be able to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Demonstrate standards of ethics and integrity
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- INGO experience or have worked in a commercial/public sector international organisation
- Familiarity with grant requirements of major donors such as USAID, EC/ECHO, DfID and the UN
- Good financial analysis aptitude
- Experience of Agresso financial software or other ERP softwares
- Experience of audit
- Counter fraud experience
- Ability to look at the bigger picture when assessing organisational performance and risk.
Method of Application
Kindly send your C.V. and covering letter on or before 7th of April 2015 explaining why you are suitable to Nigeriavacancy@savethechildren.org. State position clearly in the subject field as applications without appropriate subject will be disqualified. Also, applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In order to apply for more great opportunities, please visit our website on www.savethechildren.net/jobs.
For more information and to support our work, please visit our website on www.savethechildren.net .
Our selection processes reflect our commitment to safeguard children from abuse. Our people are as diverse as the challenges we face.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE AN IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES? JOIN US!!!