If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Save the Children International is a 'dual mandate' organisation and as such equal priority will be given to both humanitarian and development work. This is the only way we will be able to ensure that some of the fundamental rights that we believe children have, such as survival, safety and constant access to protection and education can be guaranteed. As part of a commitment to work with children through humanitarian interventions Save the Children will support programmes in both sudden onset and chronic emergency situations.
This role will support the Humanitarian Manager in the relevant geographic area in emergency response programmes
The main responsibilities of this post will vary according to the terms of reference for each assignment. The post-holder is likely to undertake some travel into the field.
- Provide a high standard of financial accounting in emergency programmes, ensuring compliance to local statutory law and SC accounting policies.
- Ensure accounting systems, policies, internal controls and procedures are quickly established for the collection of accurate, complete and timely financial data (e.g.: budgets, forecasts, expenditure, commitments, payroll, and delegation of authority).
- Manage the cash flow to ensure timely and secure transfer of funds to meet programme needs, liaising with local bankers as required and provide the necessary checks and balances to ensure that money is spent effectively, efficiently and in line with donor requirements.
- Support budget holders to produce quality budgeting information while ensuring all relevant stakeholders are involved in the budgeting process.
- Prepare management reports, for budget holders to monitor budgets, on a regular and timely basis.
- Assist the Emergency Finance & Grants Manager and/or Country Finance Manager to prepare donor financial reports and proposal budgets.
- Ensure all donor requirements (financial & reporting) are complied with and that proposals and reports are submitted on time.
- Provide support to Humanitarian Manager with advice/training to budget holders on budget management and phasing.
Control & Supervision:
- Take appropriate steps to minimise the risk of fraud or theft.
- Ensure the security of all cash and assets (e.g.: regular cash and bank reconciliation, fixed asset and inventory physical checks).
- Carry out inductions and staff trainings for finance procedures, donor requirements etc.
- Provide interim support to a country or regional programme which lacks finance resources.
- Work with internal and external auditors as necessary.
- Deliver high quality results in line with the agreed ToR and develop effective relationships with country programme staff.
- Comply with all relevant SC policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles
- Participates in the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts
Achieving results effectively
- Collects, analyses and disseminates information to and from communities and other stakeholders
- Ensure efficient and transparent use of resources in accordance with internal controls
- Addresses difficult situations and makes tough decisions confidently and calmly
- Considers the wider impact of decisions to be made in the short and long-term
- Continuously provides feedback and updates to achieve improved results
- Coordinates with stakeholders to avoid duplication and maximise resources
- Documents lessons learned and applies them to future projects
- Demonstrates understanding of agency project cycle management
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships
- Actively participates in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
Operating safely and securely
- Identifies and communicates risk and threats and minimises these for oneself and the agency
- Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
- Helps team members to practise stress management through prioritisation of workloads and modelling of appropriate self care
- Remains effective and retains perspective in the face of difficult or demanding situations
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others
- Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind.
- Builds own awareness of the bigger global picture by using a broad range of sources to gather data
- Demonstrates self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses.
- Tailors communication style to certain audiences.
- Gives constructive feedback to enhance capabilities and responsibilities to another for the purpose of his/her development
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified professional accountant (internationally recognised qualification, practical experience equivalent will be considered) with significant post qualification accounting experience
- Experience of and well developed skills in staff management, supervision and capacity building
- Good attention to detail and analytical skills
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, financial systems).
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a workload comprised of varying and changing tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in managing multicultural teams
- Experience with NGOs in an international emergency environment.
- Knowledge of the requirements of the major emergency donors and experience in budgeting and reporting to donors
- Fluent in English
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and full membership of professional Accounting Body (viz. ICAN, ACCA, CIMA) or its equivalent;
- 3 years experience in a similar position.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Experience in computerised and accounting systems.
Method of Application
Kindly send your C.V. and covering letter on or before 24th of March 2015 explaining why you are suitable to Nigeriavacancy@savethechildren.org. State position clearly in the subject field as applications without appropriate subject will be disqualified. Also, applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In order to apply for more great opportunities, please visit our website on www.savethechildren.net/jobs.
For more information and to support our work, please visit our website on www.savethechildren.net .
Our selection processes reflect our commitment to safeguard children from abuse. Our people are as diverse as the challenges we face.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE AN IMPACT ON CHILDREN’S LIVES? JOIN US!!!