UNDP Nigeria is recuiting SGP Programme Assistant
Job Title: SGP Programme Assistant
Location : Abuja, NIGERIA
Additional Category: Management
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required: English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Mar-2012
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
Effective day-to-day substantive, administrative and financial support to the national SGP team and the National Steering Committee to ensure the smooth operation and management of the GEF-SGP (Global Environment Facility – Small Grants Programme) programme portfolio, timely and efficient response to queries from different grantees and stakeholders, closely monitoring the achievement of the national annual SGP delivery and co-financing targets, and updating of relevant databases.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support to Programme implementation
- Contribute to day-to-day support to programme/project implementation and ensuring conformity to expected results, outputs, objectives and work-plans;
- Assist the PM in prescreening project concepts and project proposals, and evaluate the financial part of the project proposals;
- Assist the PM in development and amendment of application forms and other management tools, requirements of the programme and other SGP documents
- Advise potential grantees on technical project preparation issues, and Report to PM and NSC on project development activities, as required;
- Provide day-to-day support to new and already approved projects and the grantees, as required;
- Assist the PM in project implementation and monitoring, including participation in field visits;;
- Organize SGP advocacy events, workshops, round-tables, missions forPM and other SGP events;
- Maintain working-level contacts with NGOs, governmental institutions, donors, other SGP stakeholders, and participate at events for SGP information dissemination purposes;
- Draft progress reports and other reporting material to the CPMT, UNOPS andUNDP CO, and assist NC in preparation of semi-annual and bi-annual progress reports;
- Draft articles, publications, speeches, letters, memos and other documents on behalf of PM, and respond to queries on SGP programme matter;
- Create and maintain SGP project database and SGP stakeholders database;
- Maintain and update the SGP website, SGP Global database and UNDP CO website with SGP information;
- Support and assist PM as and when needed.
- Review and process payment requests from grantees and vendors through obtaining necessary clearances and authorizations and ensuring payments are effected promptly;
- Maintain financial integrity of the programme within UNDP CO and externally, implement and monitor accounting system and databases of SGP country operational budget;
- Prepare and maintain the grant disbursement table and calendar;
- Review financial reports submitted by grantees and advise the NC as required;
- Draft administrative budget proposals;
- Enter, extract, transfer data from ATLAS and SGP database and produce reports as required;
- Provide other financial reports as required.
- Procure office equipment and furniture (including communication and audio equipment, supplies etc.).
- Manage and organize everyday office work.
- Establish a proper filing system and maintain files and documentation in good order;
- Draft routine correspondence and communications;
- Prepare background information and documentation, update data relevant to the programme areas and compile background material for the PM and NSC;
- Ensure flow of information and dissemination of materials with all concerned;
- Follow up of travel arrangements and DSA payments for thPM and NSC members.
- Maintain personnel files, performance evaluation reports, leave records, and other pertinent personnel/consultant records.
- Ensure all reporting and/or submission deadlines from HQs are met;
- Provide logistical and other support to the local SGP team and visiting missions, as required.
Actively support the SGP and the NSC teams in their efforts towards knowledge management and knowledge networking.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1:Maintains effective client relationships
Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1:Gathering and disseminating information
Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- First University degree, preferably in Business Administration or an environmental science field.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in office management, including financial reporting;
- Previous working experience with a UN agency an asset.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills essential;
- Excellent drafting and analytical skills required.
- Good knowledge of budget control and financial management.
- Fluency in the official national language (must be one of the 6 UN languages), and English/second language
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, database and Internet use.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should apply online through the website by clicking here
. The system will prompt you to upload a CV on the next page.
Applications without a fully completed P11 form will not be considered. Only applicants that are shortlisted will be contacted.
The system will only allow for one attachment.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.