The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.We thank you for your interest in IITA and invite you to explore many exciting and diverse career opportunities in a work environment that enables you to be the best you can, advancing your professional and personal growth in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
Join a vibrant team that is committed to facilitating agricultural solutions for hunger, poverty, and natural resource degradation throughout the tropics.IITA is an equal opportunity employer and consideration for employment is given to qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, national/ethnic origin or social status.
• Engage in planting, crossing, harvesting, and seed processing of for parental lines of maize hybrids and ensure implementation of planned activities in different locations.
• Coordinate all field operations, including seed preparation, planting, thinning, shoot covering, and pollination in maize crossing blocks and multiplication fields of inbred lines under rain-fed and irrigated conditions.
• Ensure storage of seeds of parental lines of hybrids in an orderly manner to facilitate retrieval system.
• Make requests for required field tags as well as pollination (shoot and tassel) bags for various crossing blocks.
• Review availability of maize inbred lines for trials.
• Coordinate and plan isolation of breeder seed production fields
• Coordinate labor allocation for thinning, shoot covering, pollination, harvesting, threshing, and seed preparation throughout the year.
• Participate in screening of maize inbred lines, varieties and hybrids for carotenoid concentration and content.
• Supervise the preparation of inbred lines for distribution to collaborators in and outside of West and Central Africa.
• Prepare seeds for storage in the cold rooms and take inventory of the quantity and quantity of seeds of inbred lines and hybrids available in the cold store.
• Prepare seeds of inbred lines and hybrids requested by collaborators for shipment
• Provide practical training to new staff members working under special projects.
Qualification and Experience
• BSc or HND in Agriculture
• Minimum experience of 2 years in a similar position
• Engage in maize Seed preparation, Processing and Storage
• Participate in Planting operations for maize, field harvesting and data Collection from maize experiments and seed increase operations
• Actively participate in all maize field maintenance activities including land preparation, fertilizer and herbicide applications, thinning and hand pollinations
• Driving staff to field sites and other
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualification and Experience
• WASC and a valid driving license.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.