Administrative Vacancy at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
Posted on: 20 March, 2015
Deadline: 25 March, 2015
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at United Nations
If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is recruiting to fill the position below:
The position is intended to fill functions of short-term duration. This temporary position is for an initial period of seven (7) months with a possibility of extension. All posts are subject to availability of funds.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships
- This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Nigeria, Abuja. The Administrative Officer reports to Head of Office.
Within delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Budget and Finance:
- Prepare and revise cost plans in line with work plans and financial rules and regulations and ensure that costs are reasonably estimated.
- Prepare quarterly requests for funds (financial authorizations) and monitor obligations and expenditures against financial authorizations in line with approved cost plans.
- Develop, implement, and maintain internal controls to monitor and ensure that financial resources are utilized to implement activities in accordance with work plans and cost plans.
- Provide guidance to functional units on financial accountability within programme responsibilities and on the effective use of programme resources. Coordinate the production of financial reports for headquarters and donors.
- Review and confirm that proposed obligations or disbursement for goods and services under third-party agreements, are reasonable and in conformity with UN Financial Rules and Regulations.
- Monitor and follow up on outstanding NGO and UN Agency reports for grants and allocations provided to third parties.
- Supervise petty cash management in accordance with established procedures, maintain accurate and complete petty cash records and receipts, and ensure that replenishments are done in a timely manner.
- National staff's payroll is usually prepared and managed by UNDP Copenhagen based on information provided by local UNDP on contract status. But as OCHA’ AFO we check and confirm the names during IOVs reconciliation.
- Verify inter-office vouchers (IOVs) prepared by UNDP to confirm accuracy of accounts and to allow for reconciliation with OCHA’s accounting system. Ensure proper management of office assets, including maintenance of inventory, physical verification of assets and disposal of assets.
- Provide information needed to respond to audit observations/findings.
- Provide guidance and leadership to junior staff.
- In collaboration with the local UNDP office, coordinate actions related to recruitment and administration of national staff. Provide guidance on requirements of performance appraisal system and maintain a system to track compliance.
- Maintain confidential personnel files, ensuring that information is complete and updated. Ensure that separating staff finalize in-country formalities prior to their departure. Ensure that staff time and attendance is properly recorded, verified and submitted in a timely manner to UNDP for national staff and to the Administrative Services Branch, for international staff.
- Support procurement of goods through UNDP or Headquarters and ensure that appropriate procedures are duly followed. Verify receipt of goods and services, ensuring specification, condition and quantities of goods are correct and paperwork is complete and properly filed.
- Control and manage equipment (disposal, inventory, NEP/inventory reporting, and fleet management).
- Ensure that the corporate administration of common premises & Service Agreements are done in accordance to OCHA standard templates.
- In collaboration with the Department of Safety and Security (DSS) and Head of OCHA field office assist in ensuring Minimum Operation Security Standards (MOSS) compliance for vehicles, office and residential premises. Ensure that the office premises are well maintained and provided with common services.
- Oversee the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems. Ensure adequate level of office supplies and maintain a system for office supplies allocation and tracking. Supervise and/or prepare travel authorizations, ensuring appropriate justification, costing and approvals are in place. Verify travel claims submitted for settlement and track outstanding payments.
- Maintain a central filing system; ensuring consistent use and appropriate archiving of official administrative, finance, and human resource documents. Represent OCHA at meetings on administrative issues such as national salary scales, common services, premises, etc. Supervise national administrative staff on a regular basis, ensuring support and mentoring.
- Perform other duties and/or assignments as required.
- Professionalism: Technical competence and proven track record in overall administration with emphasis on financial activities, and good knowledge of the United Nations Financial Rules and Regulations as well as accounting practices; good understanding of general administration and human resources management; competence in administrative support for field-based activities. Solid experience in organizational work and cost planning with the ability to set priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor own work plan and those under the supervision; ability to identify priority activities and adjust them. Proactively service staff and other clients to propose appropriate solutions. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management, or other related area is required. Field experience in emergency situations is desirable. Experience within the United Nations common system handling finance-related matters is desirable.
- Education: Advanced university Degree (Master's Degree or equivalent) in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, Law or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Method of Application
All applicants are requested to submit a completed personal history profile (PHP) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to: email@example.com Please indicate just this code OCHA/G/61/2015 in the subject of your e-mail.
Click here to Register and Complete a personal history profile (PHP)
Click here for Application Process
- Documents should be saved as pdf file, with the title formatted as follows: Doc-t type _Given Name FAMILY NAME.pdf. For example: PHP_Joe GREY.pdf.
- Note that applications to United Nations Secretariat positions can be generated in the new Inspira recruitment system. We encourage you to create an electronic personal history profile and to apply to these and other positions for which you are interested and qualified at: http://inspira.un.org
- Note that applicants eligibility cannot be fully assessed if the personal history profile is not properly completed. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted. Potential candidates under serious consideration will be contacted by the hiring manager directly. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
- Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her; in this context, all staff members are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers In accordance with established rules and procedures.
- "The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Also, the United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts."
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about United NationsSimilar Jobs
- Psychologist at Neem Foundation
- Consultant - Data Analyst for the Public Perception Survey/Citizen Report at ActionAid Nigeria
- Consultant at the Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy (BiRD)
- Job Opportunities at Crown Agents
- IT and Communications Assistant at AS Operations West Africa Limited
- Fresh Vacancies at Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
- ICT Assistant at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Job Openings at Plan International Nigeria