FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
The Strengthening Integrated Delivery of HIV/AIDS Services (SIDHAS) project is a five-year PEPFAR program to provide high quality HIV/AIDS services, and to build the capacity of the public and private sectors in Nigeria in order to provide these services in a sustainable manner. The SIDHAS project is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
With the Director Monitoring & Evaluation, The Associate Director CQI and PHE will lead the expansion of FHI’s Operational Research and Public Health Evaluation (PHE) activities in Nigeria, with an emphasis on generating new knowledge based on existing activities of FHI Nigeria Projects and any new research projects that advance FHI’s Mission. S/he will also play a lead role in researching and implementing continuous quality improvement (CQI) strategies especially in terms of data quality for FHI Nigeria projects.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Take a leadership role in all QA/QI processes within FHI 360 Nigeria and among FHI 360’s Implementing Agencies especially in terms of data collection and verification.
- Take a lead role in implementing and documenting CQI processes in facilities, CBOs, state level actors towards the attainment of graduation status.
- Develop and track graduation benchmarks at the state level in close collaborator with the Lab and Health Systems Strengthening Directorate.
- Provide leadership, management, and administrative oversight for FHI 360’s research, public health evaluation activities in Nigeria.
- Have an in-depth understanding of FHI 360’s research and public health programs and link activities/opportunities in Nigeria to ongoing research and public health evaluation activities in FHI 360.
- Foster and maintain working relationships with researchers or interested stakeholders within the USAID Mission, other donors, national and state level Ministry of Health, local NGOs, international cooperative agencies and other in-country partners.
- Help shape FHI 360’s research and public health evaluation portfolio across a range of technical areas, including HIV/AIDS, FP/RH, TB, Malaria and other topics, as appropriate.
- Represent goals/objectives of research/PHP to in-country partners including USAID and other sponsors.
- Participate in, coordinate, and assure quality of research and public health evaluation projects conducted in Nigeria.
- Build research and evaluation capacity of staff working in the FHI 360 Nigeria office.
- Promote and utilize best practices and other standards developed by international normative bodies.
- Liaise with FHI 360 HQ for relevant research capacity building, implementation and collaboration opportunities.
- Actively seek and broker collaboration opportunities by communicating regularly with in-country partners to develop new research ideas, utilize research results, and scale-up promising programs.
- Liaise between FHI 360, USAID/Nigeria, implementation partners, MOH and other in-country stakeholders to ensure partners are informed of FHI’s research interests, directions, and capabilities.
- Provide technical assistance to stakeholders in the design of projects, protocols, manuals and data collection forms.
- Develop concept papers and research papers to improve and or extend existing monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Represent FHI 360 at National and International events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Considerable knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Thorough knowledge of epidemiological data management tools such as SPSS or EPI6 INFO, and relevant computer software skills.
- Working knowledge of scientific literature related to reproductive health, HIV prevention and treatment, and other infectious diseases.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding RH and HIV programs and research.
- Ability to evaluate relevance of data or information, as well as work with staff to resolve differences in interpretation of information.
- Solid understanding of research methodologies.
- Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically as part of a team or independently to advance the interest of research and public health in Nigeria.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time, with minimal supervision and under pressure of tight deadlines.
- Willing to mentor junior researchers and evaluators.
- Sound knowledge and experience regarding M&E, statistics and quality assurance/quality improvement, and their specificities for developing countries.
- Ability to represent FHI/Nigeria to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and training skills.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with 5 to 7 years relevant experience with at least 5 years progressive experience in public health/research.
- Possession of an MPH or post graduate degree in a related field is required.
- Proven track record of writing and publishing, especially at scientific conferences and in scientific journals and of conducting research and large scale evaluation project.
- Knowledge of techniques, principles, methods and data analysis related to epidemiology and treatment of HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria and other diseases of public health importance.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale