The key purpose of the role is to manage GroFin’s investment and business support activities in a region, ensuring that quality standards are adhered to and performance targets are met. He/she mentors and actively supports Investment Executives in driving and delivering exceptional investment and impact performance in the region.
The position reports to the Chief Investment Officer (CIO). Within the organisation, the position has primary working relationships with the in-country Investment Executives, the GroFin leadership team and management committee.
Fund and program management (10%)
- Develop annual fund activity plans and fund models that meet fund/program mandate criteria
- Report quarterly fund and program results to investors and capital providers
- Ensure fund/ program compliance
- Maintain relationships with fund/ program investor representatives
- Support investor due diligence processes
Planning, budgeting and control (10%)
- Develop regional and country business plans and budgets that meets GroFin profitability and productivity standards
- Manage and control revenue and operational expenses in line with the approved budget, report on variances and implement corrective actions
- Report financial and investment results on a monthly basis to Leadership team, including variance analysis and plans to address variances
Investment excellence (40%)
- Ensure effective implementation of the GroFin model in the region including approved policies and procedures. Ensure quality throughout.
- Manage and ensure that value-adding business support is provided to clients and report actions implemented, results achieved and challenges faced
- Brief offices on product and service updates and strategically support offices on investment and business support performance.
- Ensure compliance in the region with operations risk and rigour requirements
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance
- Provide expert support to investment teams, assisting the local offices in managing challenging and/.or complex transactions
- Ensure that the country investment teams are resourced adequately
- Ensure delivery of effective services to the countries and manage SLAs
Team effectiveness (20%)
- Provide clear direction to the country offices on GroFin and funds’ business objectives, translating and prioritizing into business performance measures.
- Ensure that great mission aligned investment and business support teams with multi- disciplinary expertise to support entrepreneurs are in place
- Recruit, coach, develop and mentor in-country Investment Executives
- Establish and manage succession plans for Investment Executives
- Manage GroFin’s performance management system
- Recognize and reward investment excellence
- Develop investment depth and competence into the local teams
- Participate in interview panels for investment staff
- Conduct market analysis of target customer trends and competitor offerings and integrate into fund and country business plans
- Identify and develop new business opportunities
- Develop effective partnerships with regional SME stakeholders
- Represent GroFin in the media, at conferences and other brand building activities
- Manage the GroFin customer relationship management system, including complaint handling
- Assist CIO in development of relevant policies, procedures and processes that lead to efficient performance
- Share knowledge, experience and best practice with the group though MyGroFin
- Make quality product, process, procedure and tool suggestions to improve GroFin service delivery and performance
- Serve on GroFin Finance Committee and be a trusted advisor to the leadership team
Required experience, qualification and skills
Best in class investment experience in SME investment, preferably in the region, with a 10+ years of a demonstrated track record in investing or financing SMEs
At least 10 years management experience, preferably in an international organization, managing cross country teams
Advanced degree required. An MBA from a leading international education institution is preferred, as well as CFA or ACCA.
Existing and relevant network amongst venture capitalists, private equity funds, investment advisors, banks, consultants and other SME stakeholders is preferred.
Excellent financial and analytical skills.
Written and spoken language fluency in English essential.