Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Define, implement and follow up epidemiological activities, ensuring the proper implementation of protocols, the development of appropriate methodology and the quality of studies to identify risk factors for diseases and determining optimal treatment approaches to clinical practice and for preventive medicine to be used in the mission.
- Define, schedule and organize, in close collaboration with the Medical Coordinator the annual epidemiological activity plan as well as its associated budget in order to improve early detection of risk factors to better define treatment approaches and preventive practices.
- Lead the implementation of the protocols and epidemiological methodology, ensuring all related staff follows them in order to improve research efficiency.
- Supervise, according to annual plan, epidemiological research activity ensuring:
- that contacts with community groups and authorities are aligned with the objectives of the research
- that the population participating in the research is properly informed
- reporting on the progress of data collection, on ongoing analysis of research or on any issue causing delay is done in order to achieve epidemiological goals on time.
- Advise the MSF medical team on epidemiological matters that arise in the course of their activity research, and, when necessary, design and implement epidemiological tools and data collection to meet new epidemiological needs.
- Ensure , in coordination with logistics department, that national or international shipment of laboratory samples acquired for research purposes is done within datelines and according to protocols, following security rules and keeping conditions needed for the sample
- Supervise data filing procedures ensuring that all epidemiology software tools are properly used and are updated regularly, in order to ensure full data traceability and availability
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department and the MSF vision, policies and values, the associated processes (job description, recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the epidemiological staff in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, improve people technical capabilities, contribution and their commitment to MSF values.
- Supervises, in close coordination with the logistic manager, that research equipment and material is properly maintained and stock level is above minimum point in order to ensure availability and research activity continuity.
- Organize and/or assist medical staff in preparing epidemiological reports related to health facilities and to researched areas and participate in operational monthly reports.
Essential: Medical related degree. Desirable: Degree (or masters) in Epidemiology or Public Health with extensive training in statistics, tropical diseases and epidemiology.
Essential: working experience of at least three years in surveillance, outbreak management, quantitative and qualitative data analysis. Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs, and working with multi-disciplinary and multi-national teams.
Proficient in English (verbal & written) and Hausa (verbal)
Knowledge of principles/practice of infectious disease surveillance, including outbreak detection, investigation and analysis. Comprehensive knowledge and proven practical skills in designing, implementing and analysing quantitative and qualitative public health and /or epidemiological research, as well as experience writing peer-reviewed journal articles for publication.Advanced computer literacy (word, excel, power-point, internet), software packages (Epi-data, Epi-Info, SPSS.
Strong communication, report writing, presentation, organizational skills. Ability to work flexible hours (i.e. occasional evenings and weekends) when necessary.
Method of Application
Submit Application Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of all necessary credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) in an envelope (specify on the envelope – Application for the post of Epidemiological Activities Manager to the address below:
Human Resources Coordinator,
Médecins Sans Frontieres – OCA,
No. 26 Agaie Road,
Behind State CID,