The World Meteorological Organization requires a highly qualified locally-recruited Secretary for its Office for North, Central and West Africa, located in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Under the overall supervision of the WMO Representative for North, Central and WestAfrica and under direct supervision of the National Programme Officer, the Incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Classify all the incoming and outgoing documents. Prepare the monthly account of the Office. Prepare correspondence, some of which is highly confidential in both French and English.
- Transmit the outgoing mails.
- Maintain the proper Office filing system;
- Make travel arrangements (flight booking and purchase of tickets) for the supervisors and perform liaison duties with other units;
- Arrange appointments and maintain the supervisors' calendar, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion;
- Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of relevant partners (Ministers, Government Officials and members of the Diplomatic Corps and Donor Organizations);
- Prepare briefing material for the supervisors for use on Official trips or special meetings;
- Perform any other assignment that he/she may be directed.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completed secondary school education or equivalent administration studies with corresponding diploma.
- A minimum of five years progressively responsible experience in secretarial functions.
- Demonstrated experience in screening and filtering incoming correspondence and documents and working experience in a United Nations or related international organization.
- Must possess demonstrated ability to work with Microsoft Office software, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software and multi-tasking systems [e-mail, agendas, etc.) and the use of Oracle 1-Procurement applications. Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to draft and produce correspondence, to manage and balance workloads and timelines within a multi-structured environment.
- Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail.
- Excellent typing skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and a very good knowledge of French (oral and written).
- Knowledge of other WMO official languages would be an advantage.
Method of Application
NATURE OF ASSIGNMENT A monthly salary commensurate with G.3 level (approximately NGN 272095) AND SALARY: Will be offered based on experience. This is a temporary appointment of up to eleven months on Abuja local conditions.
COMMENCEMENT OF DUTY: 1 May 2015 or as soon as possible thereafter.
APPLICATIONS: In order for the applications to be considered valid, these should be submitted with a cover letter (not more than one page) specifying the motivation for applying, and addressed to The WMO Representative, WMO Office for North, Central and West Africa. All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile number, detailed curriculum vitae and completed
WMO Personal History Form, which can be downloaded from the Internet at http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/isp/linkedfiles/PHFE.rtf
Please note that this position will be based in Abuja and is open to Nigerian nationals or permanent residents.
CLOSING DATE: Interested candidates are invited to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 13 March 2015. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.