Equal Access Nigeria (EA) is an international not for profit organization (501c3), headquartered in San Francisco and working throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East. A communications for social change organization that combines the power of media with community mobilization, EA manage the production for AREWA24, the first free-to-air, Hausa language entertainment and lifestyle satellite television channel produced by and for northern Nigerians and devoted entirely to the Hausa speaking peoples of Nigeria, West Africa and around the world.
Equal Access creates customized communications strategies and outreach solutions that foster peace building and social cohesion, women & girls' empowerment, youth life skills & livelihoods, human rights, health, as well as civic participation and good governance in the developing world.
EA seeks qualified candidates to lead the TV production team, represent AREWA24, and manage the growth of its Nigeria program in the position below:
Project: AREWA24 TV Project
Location: Kano, Nigeria
Travel Requirements: Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, and field-based activities in northern Nigeria
Reports to: Senior Program Manager, EA HQ
- The Director General will manage the television channel and its strategic direction, lead all production, oversee community outreach, and develop partnerships for EA-Nigeria (EAN) and the AREWA24 channel.
- S/he will ensure that AREWA24 is delivering quality content to audiences across northern Nigeria and the Hausa-speaking sub-region and will liaise with potential business partners and sponsors to help drive the channel's commercialization strategy.
- During the first 6-8 months, the new Director General will work closely with the existing Director General to ensure maximum capacity building and a smooth leadership transition. He/she will also work closely with AREWA24's President.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight of the AREWA24 program
- Help develop and implement a strategy for research and analysis related to the AREWA24 channel and its target audiences; apply that analysis to program and broadcast strategies.
- Support quality project planning, implementation, and M&E in a manner consistent with Equal Access' working principles, ensuring the AREWA24 program is managed and implemented in a timely and high-quality manner, according to pre-established work plans, and basing program decisions on reliable and accurate data.
- Ensure that all production deliverables are submitted on time in a suitable format and in-line with EA's strict quality standards.
- Analyze the commercial market in Nigeria and work with the AREWA24 President to adapt the channel's commercialization strategy.
- Build staff capacity in producing, editing, and finalizing high-quality television content.
- Identify and document best practices and lessons learned that can be successfully replicated and assist program staff to integrate into their work.
- Identify, develop and manage new commission-based revenue streams from corporate sponsorships, advertising, and other sources.
- Liaise with the Nigerian public authorities about possible sources of income relating to the broadcasting of public service announcements or related to other relevant approaches.
- Work to engage with bi- and multi-lateral donors (UN, USG, and others) and like-minded corporations to develop programming for the channel.
- Explore the feasibility of developing potential equity partnerships with like-minded corporations and entities to further the channel’s growth and sustainability
- Support staff to ensure timely quality reporting to donors, partners and HQ and compliance with grant terms.
- Represent EAN and AREWA24.
- Lead security and incident related decision making and response.
- Ensure good staff management standards promoting discipline, efficiency and harmonious working environment.
- Promote transparent decision-making through open communication and regular meetings
- Advanced Degree in Management, Mass Communication, Media Production, and/or Business/Marketing.
- Minimum 10 years' experience leading and managing TV Production and Broadcast
- A thorough knowledge of production processes, TV business models (cable/satellite TV a plus), audience research, and commercialization.
- Experience in coordinating with external suppliers, producers, sponsors, investors, and advertising sales houses
- Able to work under extreme pressure and deadlines
Language and Computer Skills:
- Excellent spoken and written English, knowledge of Hausa a plus
- Computer skills: Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, and experience with other editing software packages; MS Word and Excel
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application including a cover letter, updated CV, and three references to: email@example.com
Note: Equal Access (EA) will consider applications and begin the interview process prior to the closing date.