The African Development Bank Field Office has been established to strengthen the dialogue between the Bank and the Government, development partners, the private sector, and the civil society, in the design of the Bank’s development policy and programs, as well as on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the poverty reduction strategy. MZFO also seeks to assist the operational functions of the Bank Group in launching and following up projects and programs in Mozambique with a view to enhancing portfolio quality, ownership, participatory approach, and regional integration. The African Development Bank invites applications from qualified candidates to fill in the vacant position of Secretary /Receptionist, Mozambique Field Office. This is a local position based in Maputo, Mozambique and does not attract international terms and conditions.
Under the overall administrative authority of the Resident Representative, MZFO and the day to day direct supervision of the Finance and Administration Officer, the main responsibilities of the Secretary/Receptionist will be the following:
- Providing general secretarial assistance to the Office, Field Staff and visiting Missions as well as providing back up to Secretary to the Resident Representative.
- Receiving visitors, responding to routine requests for information, receiving and screening all correspondences and distributing them to various offices.
- Coordinating and monitoring multiple and diverse work processes and activities to ensure that management decisions are properly carried out and products are delivered in a timely manner;
- Being accountable for the smooth operation of the office work, support work and related systems within the Office by organizing and coordinating workflow.
- Contributing to the organization of MZFO events and ceremonies;
- Supporting office administration activities including management of stationery and consumables stores, processing of missions in the system and travel booking.
- Ensuring quality of documents requiring the Resident Representative and other Staff’s approval and/or signature;
- Performing any other duties reasonably requested by the Resident Representative and other Staff in the Field Office.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Bachelor’s degree or its university equivalent in Business Administration or other related field; or Matric Certificate or Advanced Level Certificate plus four(4) years further study in professional secretarial and office management or public relations qualifications.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience and holding a similar position in an international Organisation.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems; Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
- Good filling and organizational skills;
- Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and Portuguese with a good knowledge of the French language.
go to method of application »
The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission. To this end, high priority will be accorded to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, through the translation, interpretation and terminological services provided by the Department.
The specific objective of the French Translation Division (SGLS.2) is to ensure quality translation of all Bank documents into French, as well as the editing in French of key documents such as the Bank Group Annual Report.
Under the supervision of the Division Manager SGLS.2, the incumbent:
- Translates into French from English, without revision, complex, technical and sensitive documents covering the full range of the Bank’s work, namely: reports of an economic and financial nature, statements from Senior Management, audit reports, planning and programming documents, project appraisal reports, legal documents, etc.:
- Must aim at a high standard of accuracy, faithfulness to the spirit, letter, style and nuances of the original;
- Observes established terminology and usage;
- Advises on language matters and proposes improvements to the translation process;
- Assists less experienced internal and external translators and helps to develop the Department’s terminology base;
- Participates in working groups on various issues related to the business of the Bank in general, and that of the Department in particular;
- Performs any other duty assigned to him/her by Management.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in translation.
- Qualifications in any other discipline relevant to the business of the African Development Bank Group would be an added advantage;
- Have at least 5 years of practical experience in professional translation (particularly in the economic field, finance and/or law), at least 3 of which (for external candidates) should have been spent working in or with an international organization (preferably multilateral development banks);
- Have extensive general knowledge and be able to quickly adapt to a complex multicultural environment;
- Possess excellent writing skills and a sound mastery of language standards;
- Be able to quickly blend into, and maintain a smooth working relationship with a multilingual team;
- Have a sound knowledge of, and be able to use modern Computer-Assisted Translation tools (Trados, Multitrans, etc)
- Be conversant with all the standard software used in the Bank to be able to directly perform his/her assignments on the computer.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale