Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Under the general direction and guidance of the Director of Programme Development and Quality, the incumbent ensures that all food security and livelihoods programming is of excellent technical quality, attracts significant donor funding and contributes to national, regional and global learning, advocacy and programme development. The post holder is expected to provide technical advice and support to project staff to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved.
The post-holder also contributes to the development and/review of the country strategic direction and actively lead in the development of food security and livelihood policy and programme formulation and ensure adequate integration of strategic directions and activities with the Health, Nutrition, Child Protection and Education thematic sectors.
Qualifications and experience
- Postgraduate qualification in discipline related to agricultural economics, development economics, agriculture, food security, social science or other relevant discipline or commensurate work experience in lieu of postgraduate qualification.
- Significant experience (at least 5 years) in food security and livelihoods programming with specific experience and/or advanced understanding of at least two (2) of the following:
- Social protection systems for vulnerable populations especially pastoral and agro-pastoral populations;
- Experience of running and monitoring cash transfer programmes;
- Designing and implementing market assessments and analysis of data collected;
- Relevant training and expertise in using Save the Children Household Economy Approach (HEA)
- Assessment of Food Security Early Warning Systems in sub-Saharan Africa
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt a participatory and consultative management approach.
- Significant experience in relief and rehabilitation programmes in developing countries, with a focus on Food Security and Livelihoods.
- Develop market based programming promoting a better nutrition for children and livelihoods development in an integrated approach.
- Strong report writing skills, including experience in writing proposals and donor reports. For this excellent analytical skills and computer literacy is required.
- Extensive experience in data management and analysis, including data collection tools design, database design and management and data quality checks.
- Sound and mature understanding of rights-based approaches to development and participatory concepts and practical experience in similar context.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate and maintain good work relations with relevant local authorities in politically sensitive environments.
- Experience of working in insecure/conflict situations and security management.
- Willingness to travel regularly and in difficult circumstances.
- Sensitive to issues affecting children and committed to Save the Children's Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Excellent command of the English language.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale