The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of a multi-disciplinary group of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries, seeks candidates for the USAID Strengthening Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) project in Nigeria. SHOPS focuses on improving availability, quality, and coverage of essential health products and services in family planning and reproductive health, maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS, and other health areas through the private sector.
The Program Coordinator will serve as the lead advisor for the SHOPS diarrhea management program in Nigeria. He/she will work with private commercial sector health providers (most notably manufacturers and importers) to ensure continuous supply of quality, affordable ORS and zinc products in the Nigerian market.
A Technical Specialist (TS) at this level would have direct project management responsibility for a relatively small project or one component of an overall project. The TS is an expert role in his / her field. This can be a supervisory position. The
Technical Specialist will:
- Direct project management responsibility for a project (or one or several component(s)).
- As an expert in the professional field, performs analytical, evaluative, and consultative work.
- Development and implementation of (one of) the project/project component’s technical aspects.
- Management, and ongoing assessment of the project/project component’s technical aspects. Advises changes and improvements to Project Director.
- Can serve as a Technical Advisor to the Project Director and other Technical Specialists to provide research, analysis, and advisory services on project planning, implementation, training, monitoring and/or evaluation.
- If the main role is primarily an advisory role, the incumbent collaborates with government officials and serves as subject matter expert.
- The TS at this level will have a supervisory role.
Specific tasks and responsibilities Include:
- Develop MOUs with manufacturers and suppliers of ORS and zinc to solidify partnerships.
- Negotiate cost shared grants and activities to promote branded products; this may include providing technical advice to manufacturers and suppliers on the development of branded promotional materials (brochures, information fliers for PMVs, detailing packs, point of sale materials, etc.), development of mass media communications, sponsorship of clinical seminars, etc.
- Develop market activation interventions
- Conduct trainings for manufacturers and suppliers’ detailing/sales teams.
- Oversee training and supportive supervision of PPMVs in four states.
- Conduct monitoring of retail outlets and the commercial supply chain to ensure that product sales/marketing information is reaching retail outlets, especially in rural areas, and that the wholesale/distributor system is working to ensure product availability.
- Work with relevant professional associations and regulatory authorities to ensure delivery of continuing medical education/seminars relating to diarrhea management to vendors and other private providers.
- Serve as committee member developing training curriculum for various provider cadres.
- Coordinate related research activities (retail audits, mystery client surveys, or HH surveys).
- Liaise with SFH, CHAI/other partners/NPHCDA and advertising firm on development and placement of provider and caregiver focused generic advertising messages and materials.
- Supervise four state coordinators to ensure that program goals and targets are being met.
- Other duties as assigned to enhance ORS and zinc marketing.
- Educational degree in pharmacy or marketing
- At least six years of working experience in sales and marketing in Nigeria or related development programs.
- Thorough understanding of Nigeria pharmaceutical industry and wholesale/retail distribution systems.
- Experience working in development programs and dealing with donor communities.
- Good writing and communication skills.
(6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.