LEGAL COUNSEL DEPARTMENT: Pharma Legal Services
REPORTS TO: Head of Legal, Africa Cluster
COUNTRY: Africa Cluster
JOB PURPOSE Support the Head of Legal, Africa Cluster to provide strategic and legal advice in all matters that are relevant to the Africa Cluster, such as, contracts (e.g., exclusive promotion, co-promotion, co-marketing, in-licensing, etc.), intellectual property enforcement, litigation, employee relations, and general business issues. In addition, he/she will be responsible for compliance with trade sanctions and anti-corruption standards. The job includes responsibilities for handling all issues peculiar to distributor markets.
• Negotiating all agreements (distribution, promotion, field force agreements, SLAs etc) in the Country groups in direct collaboration with the business, ensuring minimal risk exposure (especially, in connection with payment of commissions, transfer of MAs, termination clauses, goodwill, etc.); as well as manage legal housekeeping and contract database (archiving of contracts, official documents, litigation documents, etc.).
• Assist the Company in proactively preventing and resolving business and legal issues in relation to local activities and ongoing relationships, especially in distributors’ markets (e.g., payment of commissions, fund flows, etc.);
• Proactively support the business with tenders and, generally, with institutional business-support to be in line with expectation for local representative offices, proactively advising on “dos” and “donts” activities, in con-junction with Tax;
• Proactively advise the Company on trade sanctions to mitigate risk exposure and monitoring recent regulatory or legislative changes, to be able to formulate views about legal problems and issues and its impact for our business with support and minimal supervision from Head of Legal and also monitoring the implementation of the local laws, regulations and company-wide policies.
• Assist the various Country Groups with local product launches, ensuring that they are in compliance with global standards and local laws and regulations;
• Support the business in preventing and solving local legal issues relating to company products, including clinical trials, disputes, and litigation, with direct engagement of the business
• Manage external law firm relationships.
• Law school graduate and Bar member
• Fluency in English essential; knowledge of French language is an added advantage.
• 6 years minimum post Bar experience; ideally gained within a healthcare / pharmaceutical environment, or alternatively, with a top-tier law firm representing healthcare and technology clients.
• Previous experience with distributor markets
• Ability to analyze complex legal issues.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; together with a high ability to influence and negotiate.
• Proven ability to work independently efficiently and meet tight deadlines and withstand pressure and demanding clients.
• Strong experience in handling a high volume of multiple, often complex projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrated professional and culturally sensitive work ethic.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
• Strong focus on solving problems.
• Strong ethics & high personal integrity.
• Natural authority and ability to resist business pressure.
• Ability to successfully work in cross-functional teams.
• Ability to question and improve status quo.
• Proactive in working with the business to finalize projects and deals.
• Providing appropriate advice that permits the Company to achieve its business goals without creating unnecessary risk.
• Able to set priorities and manage a wide-ranging work load.
• Master the Legal Excellence Standards.
Qualified and interested candidates should kindly forward their CVs to: email@example.com