The AfDB offers a variety of roles suited to your goals, background and talents, providing opportunities to advance, grow and strike the right balance between work and life that is best for you.
The Secretary will oversee the smooth operation of the offices’ support work and related systems by assuming responsibility for the organizational and coordination of work flow as well as reviewing, processing and executing a variety of resource management transactions. He/She will liaise with the Bank Group offices across Africa as well as with various services within the Bank’s headquarters and assure efficient communication and coordination activities.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, the incumbent will provide administrative support and secretarial services, and carry out the following duties:
- Devise and maintain efficient office systems;
- Organize and attend to multiple meetings, appointments, luncheons and events to ensure that responsible management is well prepared;
- Organize meetings on the basis of the Director’s schedule while preparing relevant documents and the necessary logistics and facilities;
- Track and follow up on documents, deal with faxes and general correspondence and briefs;
- Manage the flow of information by receiving, examining, sorting and monitoring the Division’s incoming and outgoing mail, taking into account the priority and urgency of the documents concerned; organize logical filing of this correspondence.;
- Handle incoming and outgoing telephone-calls;
- Establish and update the agenda and electronic mail address book; Drafting of mail and documents, in conformity with administrative instructions;
- Draft memoranda and acknowledgement letters to be submitted, along with their background documents, for the Division Manager’s/Director’s signature;
- Prepare minutes of meetings and briefs;
- Ensure the translation of documents;
- Prepare and administratively follow-up on the missions of the Director and staff of the Division (airline tickets, visas, hotel reservations, follow-up of per diem payments, transport reservation);
- Make necessary arrangements for visiting delegations;
- Provide general administrative support for the Department by liaising with the General Services and Procurement Department (CGSP) in respect of office accommodation, allocation of office furniture, equipment and supplies as allocated in the Department;
- Request for repair and maintenance works and follow-up to ensure that such works have been satisfactorily carried out;
- Initiate and prepare various administrative documents and forms, such as staff lists, staff absences (annual leave, home, leave, excused absence and maternity leave) as well as statistical data on staff, as required;
- Create and process expense reports in SAP;
- Be conversant with DACON application and procurement rules in regards to the hiring of consultants;
- Monitor and review expenses and bring issues related to administrative budget to the attention of management;
- Assist where applicable with the programming of operational activities by using the appropriate software;
- All other secretarial and administrative duties as required.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline,
- Preferably supplemented with courses in secretarial training/administration/office management, e.g. Pitmans, ‘Brevet de Technicien Supérieur’ in secretarial studies (BTS), “DUT”, etc.
- Preferably a minimum of four (4) years of progressively relevant and practical experience, in an executive office (preferably gained with an international organisation).
- Strong customer service skills, good organisational and planning skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and / or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Excellent use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP).
- Strong typing skills.
- Excellent sense of initiative, enthusiasm, team spirit, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- High sense of confidentiality; in-depth knowledge of the Institution.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale