Our client – a major operator in the serving/contracting segment of the Nigerian oil & gas industry– is seeking to hire a Group/Chief Financial Controller. The Group/Chief Financial Controller shall operate from the Lagos office.
The Role in Summary
The Group Financial Controller shall have responsibility for the overall direction and management of the financial and accounting (F & A) functions throughout the Group. This position therefore embraces a wide and varied role covering the management of the finance team, ensuring accurate monthly reporting, overall financial planning and control, management of the group’s financial strategy and operational performance. Other responsibilities shall include the control of the company’s financial reporting, forecasting as well as ensuring that all financial planning and transactions are completed within Company guidelines. A more comprehensive delineation of the tasks to be performed by the financial controller are presented in the ‘Job Description’ section below.
Specific tasks of the Group Financial Controller includes the following:
• Contributing to the achievement of the company’s objectives and overall performance by providing advice and guidance on financial strategy;
• Overseeing all accounting and costing procedures and systems used by the group, including the support for a culture that effectively uses enterprise resource planning (ERP) software/system;
• Ensuring that the group meets its financial and legal responsibilities;
• In conjunction with the Board, assess the long term financial trends and review prospects for future growth of income and new product areas;
• Oversee the completion of entries including accruals, prepayments and allocations, together with the preparation and review of business cases, capital requests and management of financial performance;
• Ensuring that the business of the group is adequately and appropriately financed at all times including all ongoing cash management;
• Preparation of balance sheet reconciliations and follow up of issues identified;
• Review of monthly performance and preparation of variance reports;
• Preparation and submission of monthly rolling 12-18 month budget and forecast;
• Review of project costing/tender pricing models;
• Develop analysis tools and drive strong decision making based on robust project forecasting based on strong financial analysis and discipline to identify and minimize risk;
• Financial and commercial review of relevant third party suppliers and vendors agreements to ensure optimum pricing to minimize risk or exposure;
• Identifying processes and control weaknesses in the group’s systems as well as provide/identify suitable solutions;
• Contributing to the improvement of finance processes and controls in general;
• Ensuring the company's compliance with all statutory and regulatory requirements relating to F&A;
• Establishing the overall mission and vision for the F&A function and the subsequent strategic direction for achieving them.
The successful candidate will be a Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA) with significant experience at senior management level in a multinational organization who is also able to make substantial contributions at Board Level. Experience in project management and project based costing are also very desirable. Other requirements are as follows:
• MBA or Master’s degree in Management
• Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience within a related industry;
• 5+ years demonstrable experience within a multinational organization and/or any of the oil and gas, petrochemical, power and fabrication;
• Advanced qualifications in law;
• Demonstrable knowledge of finance, cost control & management reporting systems;
• Knowledge/understanding of project accounting principles and practices;
• Solid experience in using ERP Accounting systems.
The successful candidate will have, great physical profile, strong verbal, written and visual presentation skills and be a creative problem solver. S/he will be self-motivated, self-starting and highly organized with the ability to influence at the highest level, but also used to working in a hands-on environment. S/he should be adaptable to change, resilient, with a dynamic approach and ability to challenge the norm. Other essential person qualities are:
• Ability to question and challenge results
• Drive and enthusiasm
• Excellent communication skills
• Sound commercial awareness and good business acumen
• Professional and logical approach to work
• Able to identify critical components to a successful process
• Ability to stay focused and calm under pressure
• Produce high standard of own work with attention to detail
• Proactive approach and determination to resolve issues
• Ability to assess and make considered judgments
• Ability to coach /direct other department members
Interested candidates should send their comprehensive curriculum vitae to email@example.com not later than February 17, 2015.