If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
CANADEM is seeking Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada with previous UN and international experience who are available for an immediate deployment to Abuja Nigeria with UNICEF for a 3 month contract ASAP
Purpose of the Post
Under the direction of the Emergency Manager, responsible for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of emergency project activities, to ensure the survival, well-being of children and mothers, and affected communities in the country. Staff member expected to spend 60% of time in the field.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertakes and assists with assessment of local conditions resulting from the emergency situation affecting children and mothers in the country. Engages with interagency assessments to ensure situation of children and women adequately assessed. Determines priorities for interventions. Prepares project proposals for emergency assistance and other related documentation, as necessary.
- Engages with programme and operations colleagues to prepare plans of action and work plans for project implementation, focusing on quick impact humanitarian interventions, with a view to longer term replicability and sustainability. Assists sections to identify appropriate partners and reviews draft Project Cooperation Agreements and Report
- Undertakes field visits to emergency project areas, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress. Reviews implementation and management of project activities. Identifies and documents lessons learned and best practices for advocacy on future project design and implementation. Makes recommendations on project administration.
- Establishes contact with community groups, other partners and allies to coordinate UNICEF contributions and keep abreast of emergency situations. Collects information, identifies problems and constraints, in order to ensure effective project delivery. Provides training and/or briefing, as required.
- Participates in discussions with government or other local authorities, partners and allies, to advocate and/or assist counterparts in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of emergency assistance and coordination. Facilitate the establishment of coordination and information management systems with current and potential partners in support of wider inter-agency humanitarian coordination
- Monitors the timely delivery of assistance and supplies, and monitors the appropriate and effective use of UNICEF resources/inputs. Monitor pre-positioned emergency stocks and recommend replenishment as required.
- Prepares situation reports and project progress reports for the decision making process and information purposes for UNICEF management, donors, partners and allies.
- In the post and pre -emergency period continue monitoring, assessing and analyzing the needs of vulnerable groups of women and children in the areas being supported by UNICEF and propose strategies and appropriate interventions for emergency and non -emergency humanitarian assistance.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in International Relations, Health, Nutrition, Social Sciences, or other related fieid. Specialized training in conflict resolution an asset.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible experience in programme formulation, planning, management, and evaluation, some of which should be in emergency programme management and operations.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language; Local working language of the duty station an asset
i)Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii)Core Competencies (Required)
• Working with People
• Drive for Results
iii)Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising
• Deciding and Initiating Action
• Persuading and Influencing
• Applying Technical Expertise
• Planning and Organizing
• Adapting and Responding Change
• Coping with Pressure and Setbacks
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required(for the job)
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international emergency issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• Knowledge of global humanitarian issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• Knowledge of UN humanitarian reform principles, international humanitarian laws.
• Knowledge of the principle of gender parity and equality.
Method of Application
If you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Residents of Canada andsee yourself in and have all of the above-mentioned skills, please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at www.canadem.ca/register. Then send an email ASAP to pantiwa.naksomboon@CANADEM.ca with Subject Line: "UNICEF-Emergency Specialist-P3- Abuja, Nigeria" together with an updated resume, citizenship, date of availability and your current location and a phone number where we can reach you. Please also forward blank referee questionnaire that can be found at www.canadem.ca/rqf to two of your references (recent supervisors preferred). Full instructions on how to complete the forms are included in the document; also please send us any evaluation report that you may have about your field work. We will be considering applications as they are received.