Women for Women International implements programs in 8 conflict impacted countries to empower marginalized women to transform their lives through a holistic approach addressing social, cultural and economic barriers.
The Gender and Social Empowerment Associate Director is responsible for providing overall oversight, guidance and direction to country offices on all aspects of social empowerment programming. This includes areas of lifeskills, social protection, women’s leadership and decision making, health (including SGBV), nutrition and men’s engagement to reach the organization’s outcome areas: 1) Women develop health and well-being, 2) Women influence decisions in their homes and communities, and 3) Women create and connect to local and global networks for support and advocacy. The Associate Director works closely with his/her counterparts on Economic Empowerment to ensure that social and economic aspects of our programs are coordinated. The Gender and Social Empowerment Associate Director also guides the development and design of new complementary programming, linkages with government bodies, local and international NGOs, UN bodies, regional institutions and social movements. S/he may also contribute to advocacy initiatives.
The location for this position is flexible, but should be within the same time zone and relative geographic focus as country office operations. Preference would be given to locations where WfWI already has an office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Capacity Building and Staff Development:
- Serve as the primary point of contact on programmatic issues for Gender and Social Empowerment units in Country Offices.
- Provide formal or informal training to Country Office staff, including to trainers, especially on training content, delivery and quality.
- Link each office with local, regional, and international training development resources
- Ensure sharing and learning between country offices.
Program Design, Strategy, Planning and Implementation:
- Implement social empowerment activities that support multiple country offices or for which CO staff are not accountable.
- Provide strategic advice to regional and senior management in HQ and UK to guide policy, planning and on-ground programmes delivery.
- Support Country Office strategic and operational planning.
- Contribute to the development of program improvements such as new lifeskills strategies, men’s engagement, stipend delivery, health access, legal rights, etc.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of international developments, best practices, and innovations in lifeskills, men’s engagement, women’s empowerment, etc.
- Promote partnerships and linkages with other organisations working on social empowerment issues at both local, country, regional and global level.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree, in international development, gender or related field
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in international development, with emphasis on grassroots development in Africa with specific experience in Nigeria, DRC, South Sudan and Rwanda. Experience in Afghanistan or Iraq preferable.
- Very strong skills for, and experience with, staff development and capacity building in development management and field implementation of programs
- Demonstrated capacity to serve as a coach or mentor of individuals from diverse cultural, linguistic, and professional backgrounds;
- Strong working experience with regional, continental and global women’s empowerment organisations, networks and movements
- Skills and knowledge in gender and conflict analysis
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, internet, email applications.
- Fluent in English. Ability to work in French. Knowledge of Arabic and/or Swahili will be an advantage
Method of Application
For more information on how to apply go to https://careers-womenforwomen.icims.com/jobs/1142/gender-and-social-empowerment-associate-director/job or https://careers-womenforwomen.icims.com/jobs and follow the steps.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.