The BBC Media Action is the charitable arm of the World Service established by the BBC. The BBC Media Action Nigeria which tackles poverty, human rights and health issues through creative use of the media is seeking to recruit an experienced Assistant Producer/Presenter who will join the Team in Abuja.
The position is Abuja based but may involve travelling to the focal states in Nigeria. The contract duration is expected to be one year with a start date of March 2015 and a probation period of 3 months
The successful candidate will perform the duties listed in the attached Job Description.
Reports to Producer (Hausa Magazine Programme)
Type of Contract: Fixed-Term
Start Date: March 2015
Duty Station: Abuja
Contract Duration: 1 year
The Assistant Producer will support the Producer (Hausa Magazine Programme) create, design, plan and produce programmes on agreed themes for discussion. Incumbent will facilitate and support the sourcing of resource persons for the programme.
- Serve as a presenter for a programme
- Assist the producer in the delivery of assigned outputs on time and within budget
- Conduct research on themes and messages and ensure all content information is accurate clear and unambiguous.
- Support the Producer in sourcing and contacting resource persons, discussants and venues for the programme and required production facilities.
- Analyse information, data/materials for research documents and work as a research point-person during workshops. Assist in script development
- Write, translate, edit or adapt stories or programme material. To find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material and/or actuality, as appropriate and to the required specification.
- Maintain professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Producers guidelines.
- Contribute to a moving story, amending and updating material as required.
- Be involved in thinking through and around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
- Understanding of Media Action’s strategy and to suggest ideas appropriate to its distinctive style and content.
- Liaise closely with other team members and with contributors, reporters and stringers. Where necessary to liaise with humanitarian organisations for assistance with information gathering.
- Assist in the preparation of operational reports.
- Be prepared to travel frequently for location production and other purposes.
- Maintain the programme log and archive.
- Filing of outputs and archiving, maintaining a database of contributors and resource persons.
- May be required to work with or support other programme teams on a multi-media basis and to have the ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner.
- Carry out these responsibilities in accordance with the BBC’s overall standards and values.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience required
- Candidate must possess excellent presentation skills especially in Hausa language.
- A good experience in presenting/moderating and programme production, preferably in the area of interactive radio/television, behaviour change communication and Health related journalism.
- Candidates should demonstrate excellent script writing skills, communication and interpersonal skills and be well versed in the use of the computer;
- Possess ability to analyse and critically evaluate editorial content, identifying strengths and weaknesses in programme content and drive for perfection;
- Possess knowledge of the structure and content of the English and Hausa Languages, media production, communication and basic dissemination techniques;
- Evidence of imagination and an enthusiasm for generating new ideas, particularly those with the widest possible audience appeal.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to issues of health programming.
- Strong understanding of the role of communications in development.
- Experience in operating effectively in difficult, political, sensitive and often fluid environments.
- An understanding of how social media can be used as a platform.
- A good university degree in any discipline in addition to good presentation skills.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Editorial Judgement -demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Knowledge Sharing – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate and share ideas.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, and resources requirements.
- Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
(A job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.)
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application with an introduction letter, capability statement for the job and a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) not later than 01 February, 2015 to email@example.com with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter and the subject of the Email:
Females are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted .