The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens' right to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions.
As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by: Providing technical assistance to election officials, Empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process, Applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle.
Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 135 countries - from developing democracies, to mature democracies.
Scope of Work
- To reduce electoral and political violence in Nigeria, the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is working to equip key stakeholders with the ability to contribute to creating the conditions for safe and secure elections. This program, entitled Mitigation Of Violence in Elections (MOVE) builds on IFES’ experience in Nigeria and other countries experiencing election violence and equips beneficiaries to better understand the roots of electoral violence and develop tools and strategies to mitigate and prevent it.
- IFES is seeking the assistance of a Mediation/Conflict Resolution Advisor who has experience in developing and delivering training curricula on mediation, conflict mitigation and peacebuilding. Ideally this individual would have an understanding of the electoral cycle and the unique nature of election violence. This curriculum should be something that is easily used to train participants directly, as well as to train other trainers. Working with IFES Chief of Party (CoP) in Abuja, the Mediation/Conflict Resolution Advisor will develop training curriculum, relevant training materials and conduct the training
- The main purpose of the training is to equip the participants with conflict mitigation and peace building skills necessary to ensure effective mitigation of electoral violence and peace building work in the field.
Specific Tasks include:
- Develop training curriculum with assistance from IFES/Nigeria program team;
- Work alongside IFES Nigeria Senior Capacity Building Manager to develop training support materials and identify any other useful training materials and initiatives;
- Finalize and document distinct training modules for MOVE trainings, including PowerPoint decks;
- Develop, in close coordination with the CoP, the Training of Trainers (ToT) material for this initiative; and,
- Deliver the training to two groups of 30 participants with assistance from IFES/Nigeria program team and one other facilitator.
1.) Curriculum package for each of the following training types, including facilitator notes, exercises, handouts and PowerPoint decks:
- Concepts of Electoral Violence (2 day training)
- Conflict Mitigation & Peacebuilding Skills (2 day training)
- Training of Trainers for Understanding Concepts of Electoral Violence
- Training of Trainers on Mitigation & Peacebuilding Skills
2.) Report documenting tasks completed
- Nigeria National based in Nigeria only
- 5 years work experience in conflict resolution and peace building, mediation, alternate dispute resolution, electoral violence prevention and/or other related field of work;
- Good knowledge and expertise in conflict resolution, conflict management and or other related work;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in planning, delivering and evaluating trainings on this or other closely related topics within an electoral framework;
- Good knowledge and understanding of electoral violence and Elections Alternative Dispute Resolution work;
- Experience working in Nigeria and/or Africa in this or similar context is highly desirable;
- Ability to prepare and conduct training in English.
- University Degree in Social Sciences.
- Advanced University degree is preferable.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.