If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
One of our greatest assets is our diversity and we are bound by shared values, committed to our mission and proud to be a leading development finance institution on the continent. While our size and range of business activities mean we have many different kinds of jobs and working environments, you will find the most important things that make us who we are right across our organization.
Whether working directly with our state participants or in our professional support areas, including information technology and operations, you will enjoy an environment of growth where talented people come together to lift millions out of poverty; a place where people are valued and leaders care about winning together.
The AfDB gives you the opportunity to pursue rewarding and challenging work with skilled and supportive colleagues, learning and development opportunities, benefits that have the flexibility to meet your needs and are fair. Our competitive compensation rewards you for your work. Working at the AfDB is about bringing out the best in people.
The Treasurer of the African Development Bank Group oversees the following critical functions: mobilize funds from capital markets for the Bank’s activities; develop investment strategies and manage the liquidity of the Bank Group; manage the banking relationships and effect payments authorized; and develop new financial products and provide related services in support of the Bank Group’s operational activities. In addition, the Treasurer is expected to actively contribute to or provide leadership on several important Bank Group initiatives.
Under the general direction of the Vice President - Finance, plans, directs, coordinates and supervises the work of the Treasury Department. Key activities are summarised below:
- Leadership and Supervisory Role: Provide strategic leadership and vision on all departmental activities.
- Financial Policies and Operating Framework: Review and implement all policies that pertain to borrowing and investment activities, and foreign exchange and interest risk management. Makes appropriate policy recommendation to the Asset-Liability Management Committee of the Bank (ALCO).
- Oversee the activities pertaining to the Bank’s borrowings in capital markets.
- Supervise the implementation of liability management activities.
- Participate in the annual review meetings with the rating agencies.
- Advise and participate in the capital increase of the Bank and replenishments of the Fund.
- Management of Investment Portfolios: Provide guidance in the formulation, determination and implementation of investment strategies and optimum asset allocation. Ensure that portfolios are managed within the Bank’s guidelines and risk parameters.
- Cash flow management: Liaise with other departments and units of the Bank for cash flow management, and effecting payments including for disbursements and debt services.
- Financial Technical Services: Maintain proactive knowledge of the Bank Group clients’ needs and leads the development of new financial products.
- Maintains appropriate contacts with the financial community (investment banks, central banks, local regulators and investors), countries (including shareholders), rating agencies, external auditors, and other multilateral development banks (MDBs) and borrowers.
- Administration: Monitor cash flow requirements to ensure funds availability and approve and execute all payments, and maintain an on-going dialogue with other departments of the Bank in order to improve payment and accounting procedures.
All other related tasks as requested including representing the Vice President Finance when required.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master's degree in Finance, Economics Business Administration or related quantitative discipline
- Preferably a minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience in international capital markets and fixed income products with at least 5 years at managerial level/leading a team, and knowledge of financial working of MDBs will be an advantage.
- Ability to produce well-structured, actionable business documents and reports in English and/or French
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in French and/or English, with working knowledge of the other language. English language skills should allow candidate to effectively interact with international investors
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of financial instruments, particularly bonds, derivatives, structured products, and risk management concepts
- Strong awareness of the evolving regulatory environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with diverse individuals
- Demonstrated ability to cope with multiple demands and competing priorities under pressure
- Team player with ability to lead people with complementary skills to ensure success
- Command of standard computer software applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint), SAP and Bloomberg/Reuters
- Knowledge of Summit/Numerix would be an advantage
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here