Job Vacancy At The International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Posted on: 13 December, 2014
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Agriculture / Agro-Allied
View All Jobs at IITA - International Institute of Tro
We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the below position:
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Agricultural Economist (Foresight Modeler). IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
- Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) seeks a qualified agricultural economist/foresight modeler to lead a program of research involving ex-ante evaluation of promising agricultural technologies for guiding strategic planning and priority setting of national and international agricultural research.
- This is part of the global futures and strategic foresight program, which is a CGIAR initiative led by IFPRI and aimed at identifying options to address the emerging global challenges to agricultural productivity, food security, and environmental sustainability.
- The successful candidate will work on IITA's foresight activities within the Global Futures and Strategic Foresight Program using a coordinated suite of biophysical and socioeconomic modeling tools to conduct rigorous analysis of promising technologies, investments and policies to inform decision making.
- The main responsibility of the successful candidate will be to carry out ex-ante evaluation of new cassava, cowpea, maize, soybean, and yam technologies using a suite of crop growth models and an enhanced version of IFPRI's International Model for Policy Analysis of Agricultural Commodities and Trade (IMPACT) for estimating their potential impacts on food production, child malnutrition, and poverty under alternative socioeconomic and climate change scenarios.
- The position involves extensive interdisciplinary collaboration with crop scientists and crop modeling experts and with partners in other collaborating institutions.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establish and lead IITA's strategic foresight research program with support from the CGIAR Research Programs on Policies, Institutions, and Markets (CRP-PIM).
- Build scenarios and databases and undertake ex-ante evaluation of new cassava, cowpea, maize, soybean, and yam technologies using a suite of crop growth models and an enhanced version of the IMPACT model.
- Contribute to the improvement of the global partial equilibrium agricultural sector model (IMPACT).
- Analyze the production, demand, and prices of IITA mandate crops under alternative scenarios of climate change and R&D investments.
- Coordinate and lead collaborative foresight activities with external partners (e.g. CG centers, advanced research institutes, etc.) as well as with interdisciplinary teams at IITA involving strong collaboration with crop scientists and crop modelers.
- Publish research findings and contribute to dissemination of research results and development outcomes to stakeholders.
- Contribute to capacity strengthening of national partners.
- Participate actively in annual review and planning meetings, resource mobilization, and contribute to strategic research planning. Duty station: The position will be based at the IITA in Lilongwe, or at other IITA in West Africa or Eastern Africa stations but will involve extensive travels within and outside Africa.
Minimum Qualification & Experience
- The candidate should have a PhD in Agricultural Economics, Economics, or Applied Economics from a highly recognized university, with a strong interdisciplinary background and proven experience in the application of quantitative methods.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge and experience with economic simulation methods and partial and general-equilibrium models.
- Knowledge of mathematical programming methods (e.g. GAMS).
- Experience with strategic analysis and impact evaluation of agricultural research. Willingness and ability to conduct multi-disciplinary work involving multi-disciplinary teams. Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles.
- Excellent spoken and written English; knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
Terms & Conditions:
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Method of Application
Interested? click here to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agricul...Similar Jobs
- Job Openings at Global Profilers
- Internal Control Officers at AMO Group
- Customer Service Representative at AMO Group
- Veterinary Lab. Micro-Biologist at AMO Group
- Executive Assistant, Strategy Execution & Business Development at AgriHub
- Job Openings at Eko Maintenance Limited
- Fresh Vacancies at an Agro-Allied Company - Mario Consulting
- Maintenance/Quality Assurance Supervisor at Omar Gardens Floral Company