The AfDB offers a variety of roles suited to your goals, background and talents, providing opportunities to advance, grow and strike the right balance between work and life that is best for you.6
- Grade: PL-2
- Position N°: NA
- Reference: ADB/14/075
- Publication date: 10/12/2014
- Closing date: 04/01/2015
The Private Sector department is responsible for all private sector operations falling within the umbrella of the Bank Group’s private sector development strategy. The department plans, organizes and carries out the activities related to private sector project identification, preparation, appraisal, implementation and portfolio management including results assessment. The department also provides financial and technical assistance for private sector projects and programs and supports the Bank’s country diagnostic and strategy work as well as enabling environment reform programs to improve the investment climate in Africa. The Direct Lending Division (OPSM.2) is responsible for originating all operations that do not have an explicit sovereign guarantee from the beneficiary country. This includes non-sovereign guaranteed projects in the oil & gas, mining, agriculture/agribusiness, manufacturing and social sectors. The division leads project teams that identify, appraise and process industries & services projects until first disbursement, at which point primary responsibility is passed to the portfolio management division.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Department Director, the Manager of OPSM2 will:
- Plan and coordinate conferences and missions to promote the Bank’s non-sovereign industries & services operations and to identify potential financing opportunities.
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of preliminary evaluation notes on new projects for submission to the Department Management Team.
- Plan and coordinate the establishment of project appraisal teams for projects that have been cleared for inclusion in the pipeline.
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of project concept notes and their submission to the appropriate country teams and the operations committee for review.
- Plan and coordinate due diligence missions for projects cleared for appraisal.
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of project appraisal reports and their submission to the appropriate country teams and the operations committee (or the vice president) for review and clearance.
- Plan and coordinate the submission of project appraisal reports to the Board of Directors for approval including consultation with Executive Directors, the preparation of Q&A notes, and attendance at the Board meetings.
- Plan and coordinate negotiations with clients and the preparation of final project legal documentation for signature.
- Plan and coordinate the clearance of conditions precedent and the submission of documents to ensure effective disbursement of committed projects.
- Regularly update the annual project processing schedule and participate in the weekly PSO coordination meeting.
- Develop and maintain relations with counterparts at other DFIs.
- Ensure the effective implementation of internal process controls for all private sector projects.
- Plan and coordinate the preparation and utilization of the budget for the division.
- Undertake annual performance evaluations of all staff in the division.
- Oversee the recruitment of new staff for the division.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree (or its university equivalent) in Business, Finance or Economics;
- Preferably a minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or investment or commercial banking, with focus on industries & services transactions;
- Comprehensive state-of-the-art understanding of investment and portfolio management techniques and familiarity with relevant strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions;
- Client and results oriented individual, with strong analytical and communication (both verbally and in writing) skills, sense of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues;
- Strong leadership and coaching skills, with a proven track record of working in teams and creating an empowering and self-development oriented work environment;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language; on top of the aforementioned language requirements, command of Arabic and Portuguese (both verbal and in writing) would be an advantage;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and preferably including SAP and OCS.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale