Engineering Vacancy at Global Profilers
Posted on: 9 December, 2014
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Manufacturing / Production / FMCG
View All Jobs at Global Profilers
Global Profilers is a Recruitment & HR Services firm specialized in recruitment in Africa; we are currently looking for a Engineering Manager for our client who is a Multinational FMCG
The individual will manage the engineering function for both sites in such a manner that efficiency and availability targets are met, maintenance spend is contained within budget and long term facilities plans are aligned with the business strategy.
Key Outputs of the role
- Both systems of maintenance are in place and plant and equipment are maintained
- Safety on plant and machinery
- Comply with OSH Act in capacity as GMR 2 for site.
- Well controlled electrical bill.
- A suitable planned maintenance system is in place on the two manufacturing sites
- Completed capital projects.
- Engineering stores with the necessary chemicals, lubricants and spares to maintain machines
- Well managed expenses.
- Motivated, well trained and informed staff who manufacture products/deliver services according to specifications
Success Measures of the role
- Maintenance standard of plant and machinery conforms to preventative and predictive maintenance principles.
- 100% Plant availability and equipment meet market and manufacturing requirements/standards.
- Disabling injury frequency rate (DIFR) below one.
- Registers is in place iro: Fixed ladders; Welding equipment; Scaffolding; Forklifts; Portable ladders; Silo lift elect/mech; Flame proof equip; Portable equip; Earth leakages; Safety harness; Gas storage; Flammable liquid; Portable equip; Tool list; Machine & equipment survey
- Power factor correction stations are fully operational at all times, Trained plant operators commission plants correctly, Monthly transformer and switchgear inspections confirms correct use thereof, Monthly cleaning programme
- A reduction in breakdown maintenance, a confirmation of a well executed planned maintenance system. Maintenance standard of plant and machinery is of a high standard. Maintenance schedules and logs exist for all equipment and are updated on a daily basis. Problem areas (possible failures) are identified prior to failure.
- Plant complies with the output and capacity standards, Machine efficiency conform to spec.
- Value of store contents are within financial budgetary controls and no extended downtime due to non-availability of key spares to ensure no loss of manufacturing time. Stock levels are well controlled.
- Expenses are within budgetary limits. Areas of cost saving has been identified and properly managed. Best quality spares has been bought at the best negotiated price.
- Successful operation of teamwork principles; involvement in team meetings; spontaneous recommendations by floor staff re improvement of processes or elimination of problems; low absenteeism; minimum grievances and disciplinary violations; production objectives are met per shift; quality/quantity standards are achieved; no work accidents (low DIFR); commitment to meet deadlines; support/drive implementation of Workplace Improvement programs eg 20 Keys and OIM principles; subordinates execute their duties to the satisfaction of their clients – no complaints; Departmental expenses within budget; achievement of individual and departmental objectives by year-end.
Main tasks to achieve Output
- Ensure preventive and predictive maintenance is in place
- OSH act safety standards are met, eg lock out systems, hot work permits safety committees are in place.
- Registers for all relevant activities are kept and inspected on a monthly basis in order to ensure the two manufacturing plants operates within the legal boundaries
- Utility management:. Monitor and manage electricity, steam, water and effluent operations and costs
- All maintenance work is done as per planned maintenance system determining frequency (scheduling) of services and maintenance to be done per individual equipment.
- Manage the capital projects for both manufacturing plants which include needs analysis budget preparations, obtaining of quotes, installation to the training and commissioning phase based on an annually updated 5 years plan on projects and major maintenance.
- Manage Engineering stores
- Manage and control maintenance expenses. Ensure that maintenance costs arte kept at acceptable levels.
- Management of staff according to budgetary controls, company policy and sound management principles.
Complex Decisions to be taken
- Does failure analyses on plant compile information to prevent a re-occurrence of same failures and decide what action to implement in order to prevent re-occurrences
- Safety decisions based on Oshact requirements as well as recommended modifications to equipment in order to enhance safety in the workplace.
- Determine whether the plants are legally compliant iro OSH Act requirements and what actions to implement if non-compliance occurs.
- To analyse with a high degree of accuracy what the causes of variances in utility usage are and then to react appropriately.
- Decisions based on ensuring that the PMS is effective and if not what actions to implement in order to ensure effective operations of all equipment. Decisions re-implementation of projects are based on all the issues as indicated in tasks to achieve output. Also, will the project be cost effective and will there be specialists to install the equipment and will they also have the expertise to do so? Decisions also based on Level of Capital expenditure and nature of investments.
- Decisions are based on what essential spares to carry in order to ensure speedy repair of breakdowns of especially bottleneck equipment. Determine which parts to keep in stock to assure high level of plant availability.
- When to repair a machine
- To identify correct calibre staff that need to be trained to operate key and sensitive equipment, eg labelling machines (decide what training to be given to whom and what training consultant to use); do teams conform to specified throughput/quality standards and what action to take if non-conformances occur; decide on disciplinary sanctions in the event of having to discipline staff for violations; decide on the performance review route to follow should subordinates not conform to the requirements of their positions; deviations from planned work necessitates critical evaluation of situations in order to initiate applicable rectifying decisions.
Qualification and Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years experience
Key Skills/ Competencies
- Great team player
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills
- Ability to make solid business decision
- Be professional, and positive
- Have integrity, initiative and focus
- Be able to think, communicate and present information effectively
- Have good coping skills
- Ability to motivate self, team or staff
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Global ProfilersSimilar Jobs
- Cyber Security Officer at Graceco Nigeria Limited
- Tech Sales and Sales Process Analyst, West Africa BU at SABmiller Plc
- Branding, Advertising & Public Relations Officer at Denna Rossi Limited
- Current Job Placements at Erisco Foods Limited
- Master Data Analyst and Factory Scheduler at British American Tobacco Nigeria (BATN)
- EHS Risk & Performance Coordinator at British American Tobacco Nigeria (BATN)
- Account Officer at Fadac Resources
- Credit Control Assistant at JMG Limited